• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

I always use to wonder why Mets never went out on a limb to forecast totals when a storm is coming days ahead. Even with all the technology, these models do not have a clue. Has the system even made it on the West coast yet?

NAM was pretty warm, but the good news is the 4km NAM at 60 hours is more robust with the precip and a few degrees colder at the surface compared to the 12km. This applies to GA, SC, AL as well as NC.

It's the long range hi res NAM, of course; still encouraging to see.

Storm5 said:
Tagat said:
So I keep waiting for the people in the know on the board to calmly say "No worries guys. This is the time frame when the models start to lose it only to then bring it back stronger and better than ever in the next few runs."  I am not hearing this. My heart is sinking... :( :cry:
Yeah , won't hear that from me. Everything keeps trending towards a late bloomer which never works out for miss, ala and western georgia .

at this point I'll be tickled to see some flurries

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post of the day sir!!  hell, I know we need a little bit of rain, but would rather have dry and some flurries flying than 35-38 and pouring rain..lol

Does anyone have the PARA NAM snow map?

chapelhillwx said:
NAM was pretty warm, but the good news is the 4km NAM at 60 hours is more robust with the precip and a few degrees colder at the surface compared to the 12km. This applies to GA, SC, AL as well as NC.

It's the long range hi res NAM, of course; still encouraging to see.
Yeah 4k was setting up to crush the Carolinas

What is the difference between Para NAM and NAM?

Para Nam gives a lot of GA a dusting-inch

NorthGAWinterWx said:
ATLWxFan said:
NorthGAWinterWx said:
I think the models are overdoing the warm temps. Some places will have good snow amounts on the ground. There won't be much temp moderation.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Based on what? Not being facetious. I genuinely want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look at the NAM snowfall output. The most snow comes in during the night hrs, less warming. When the sun comes up Sat. morning there won't be much warming...plus the cold air continues to be filtered in.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Ok, makes sense. And with such a deep low, we get no WAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

somehow I missed the 00z para which was a complete whiff for most except for SE NC and northern SC

Para NAM

586d0f07a6074_ScreenShot2017-01-04at10_03_09AM.thumb.png.446c35df76f4390183b640d22e4cb30f.png

What causes it to be a late bloomer once the energy gets to the gulf? Just trying to understand things abit better.

WXinCanton said:
I don't but I do have this and it looks decent

3530bad195cb0a400c7458cf67ed9219.gif

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm afraid this is setting up to be a non event outside of North Carolina from just outside of the Appalachians east, Northeast GA (not just a little northeast either...), and upstate SC. Shouldn't be too surprising given climo but its unfortunate to me.

Maybe the snow band outside of those areas produces but otherwise we may just see token flurries-dusting in Georgia-South Carolina (outside areas I mentioned).

NC gets Jackpot again. The rich get richer

FLO said:
What is the difference between Para NAM and NAM?

The NAM is the current version of the NAM while the Para is what it will go to later on. It is the eventual upgrade of the NAM. They normally run the eventual upgrade against the current model so we can see which performs better. Kind of like the Para GFS.

Here's the GFS for a similar time frame. It also puts out sub zero temps over the deepest snow cover. I'm with you Brick, the polar bears will be right at home lol...

gfs_t2min_raleigh_24-1024x768.png

metwannabe said:
WXinCanton said:
I don't but I do have this and it looks decent

3530bad195cb0a400c7458cf67ed9219.gif

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know I've heard of the Para Nam but never can find it's models ohh well wonder what the Para Nam today looks like compared to it's previous run

Storm5 said:
somehow I missed the 00z para which was a complete whiff for most except for SE NC and northern SC

I didn't miss it but I sure as hell didn't discuss it either lol....  we toss  :rolleyes:

If the 12z GFS and GEFS still lean the same way the NAM just did.....you can call it quits for anyone outside of the Carolina's. What a dumpster fire!

Back