• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

Parker said:
If storm feels good, then I feel good.
I just feel good seeing it was a little slower and seeing the NS clear out . if that trends a little faster we are good. plus I still don't believe the gfs will hold this same look for the next 12 plus gfs runs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ColaSnow said:
SD said:
It looks like the flat flow out front on the GFS may have kept things from really going until that first wave cleared out and the 2nd wave digs into the lakes. This allowed room for a little more amplification

I know it's a different storm, but I recall a similar situation leading up to the February 2010 snowstorm.  A day or two before gametime, there were several folks from central and eastern NC who found themselves in the game.

I think that one was suppressed by a strong -NAO but the system and precip shield slowly leaked northward toward verification. I ended up with a few inches of pure powder from that one that melted in like 6 seconds when the sun came up

Brick Tamland said:
Still not moving NW enough to do much here.

It's moving NW brick have faith
Look at this trend over last 3 runs 
blob:http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/eddc43c8-883f-45ef-b01c-b1c57dbae6a7

Trend leads me to believe that the deformation zone sets up over Atlanta Metro when all is said and done.

SD said:
Brick Tamland said:

Plz....NW of the GFS sweet spot. I'd rather be here than down in Bladen county

Has it moved NW more at all the last two runs? Is it the start of the trend?

Shawn said:
Around 7 inches of snow CAE. Florence gets the winner with 8.1

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cary_Snow95 said:
Brick Tamland said:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/eddc43c8-883f-45ef-b01c-b1c57dbae6a7

Lmao

Storm5 said:
this isn't a bad run at all for georgia

Yeah, still getting 5 or 6 here.  That'll go nicely with the 5 inches of rain I just got ::) Still waiting to get 5 inches in sleet, lol.  But, if it has to be snow, I'll take it happily.  I made a sled out of skis, so I can do snow in the street too, if they don't tear it up too bad driving on it  :p  But sleet is better! T

Storm5 said:
Parker said:
If storm feels good, then I feel good.
I just feel good seeing it was a little slower and seeing the NS clear out . if that trends a little faster we are good. plus I still don't believe the gfs will hold this same look for the next 12 plus gfs runs

storm how do you think the gfs will trend?

The real question is if this look continues-will everyone forecast the sharp northern precip cutoff showin in Alabama? I am having a bit of deja vu.

Dsaur said:
Storm5 said:
this isn't a bad run at all for georgia

Yeah, still getting 5 or 6 here.  That'll go nicely with the 5 inches of rain I just got ::) Still waiting to get 5 inches in sleet, lol.  But, if it has to be snow, I'll take it happily.  I made a sled out of skis, so I can do snow in the street too, if they don't tear it up too bad driving on it  :p  But sleet is better!  T

Do you honestly like sleet better than snow ?

Eh Canadian so far not too far off from I guess the 00z NAM at 42

ukmet looks nothing like the 12z run . weaker

Olaf said:
Cary_Snow95 said:
Brick Tamland said:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/eddc43c8-883f-45ef-b01c-b1c57dbae6a7

Lmao

lol that link didn't work. Copy and paste the edited link brick. It should work

Deltadog03 said:
I don't think that bad....cold air a little less of a push, but pretty close to be honest...Nice slug of moisture....beats the NAM...lol

Lol. Yeah the NAM looked like someone hacked it or something. Strange run for sure.

Brick Tamland said:
SD said:
Brick Tamland said:

Plz....NW of the GFS sweet spot. I'd rather be here than down in Bladen county

Has it moved NW more at all the last two runs? Is it the start of the trend?

Its bouncing around just to the south, but if you look at the 300k and 290k charts you could argue we see more snow here than the model is currently producing. Also the GFS brings the coldest cloud tops across our area on simulated satellite. Also, its a case of what happens out front, the CMC/Euro/UKM have higher heights across the OV and MA than the GFS, thus they orient this snow band SW to NE across our area. We will see what these models say soon

CMC coming in with much more interaction.

CMC is not bad....a little more moisture I think...temps about the same... it has a connection with NB tho....brings in qpf early across the SE like 18z FRI

Back