• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

We are used to seeing wintery threats vanish from one run to the next. This is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mydoortotheworld said:
Deltadog03 said:
GFS goes BOOM over GA at hour 84....about to push into SC and NC....not sure about temps...prob a little warmer..

wow no joke

Need that to shift northwest just a bit

SD said:
It looks like the flat flow out front on the GFS may have kept things from really going until that first wave cleared out and the 2nd wave digs into the lakes. This allowed room for a little more amplification
I didn't think it was that bad of run tbh . leaves the door open

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SD said:
It looks like the flat flow out front on the GFS may have kept things from really going until that first wave cleared out and the 2nd wave digs into the lakes. This allowed room for a little more amplification

i was about to ask, hrs 72-78 looked pretty disappointing and then all of a sudden bam

You should always want to be in the bullseye! But anyway... yeah not bad for central GA... though surface temps are above freezing I-20 south for most of the precip. Of course good rates can still accumulate, and it does get cold Saturday night.

If storm feels good, then I feel good.

Not a great run for everyone in Ga. Leaves NW Georgia out completely.

Another good run for the south ATL metro. If anything, the low pressure system tracked ever so slightly to the north of 18z. The snow line (verbatim) moved north from Americus to Butler.

Anyway, the CMC is running.

i think its safe to say this thing is not going to trend northwest

I don't think that bad....cold air a little less of a push, but pretty close to be honest...Nice slug of moisture....beats the NAM...lol

Brick Tamland said:
Still not moving NW enough to do much here.

Plz....NW of the GFS sweet spot. I'd rather be here than down in Bladen county

SD said:

I know it's a different storm, but I recall a similar situation leading up to the February 2010 snowstorm.  A day or two before gametime, there were several folks from central and eastern NC who found themselves in the game.

JLL1973 said:
i think its safe to say this thing is not going to trend northwest

Not at all. Still a lot of time.

Is it just me or has the precip shifted south in GA ? I thought most people said things would probably start shifting northward ? At this rate this may end up being a Columbus to Macon to Augusta event with dry air over North GA.

What do you mean it wasn't a BIG DOG? 6+" for me! Don't forget the CMC, it's going to be a bigger dog than GFS.

Around 7 inches of snow CAE. Florence gets the winner with 8.1

Shawn said:
Gonna be a big event for CAE this run. Whew.
Not much wiggle room tho

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

For you guys in the sweet spot you need the heights to be lower out in front of the wave like the GFS has. If they arent the snow shield will shift northwest and the storm will end up closer to the coast.

This seemed like it was really close to being a lot more than what it was with what's in the gulf. If you are able to combine that with the system that comes in from the west it's going to hammer someone.

I'll take my dusting to 1/2" and be happy I guess.  So close.

Back