• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/7/17-1/10/17 Winter Storm

At least Chris looks poised to get some legit accumulating snow at the end of the run in Macon.

Y'all keep saying "oh that was a bad run", but the trend is that EARLY on in the run, there is more interaction. The Northern Stream rips the energy out of our little s/w. That is the trend that is killing any snow chances and it's in the medium range NAM, which isn't half bad with vorticity/mesoscale features

metwannabe said:
Meh it's the long range NAM.... and fwiw the NAM-para looks almost identical, has more of an overrunning look to it, quick hitter.... sweet spot maybe 2"
At this point with the warmup inevitable I'll take whatever we can muster.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

This is nothing the GFS and CMC can't take care of. As crazy a run as the NAM was, watch those two come in a crush jobs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

0Z NAM Snow
4b7c242eab4bac861130e0e90e3a8056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be more QPF, the NAM will be catching on that better within 48 hrs. Good placement of low off of the SE coast.

SD said:
metwannabe said:
Meh it's the long range NAM.... and fwiw the NAM-para looks almost identical, has more of an overrunning look to it, quick hitter.... sweet spot maybe 2"

Amen

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bsudweather said:
This is nothing the GFS and CMC can't take care of. As crazy a run as the NAM was, watch those two come in a crush jobs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If GFS and CMC are crushjobs along with GEFS, I honestly don't know what to put in my forecast lol. I was hoping NAM would really narrow it down for us.

SD said:
1-3 from the nam..I'll take it

But the way the totals keep decreasing we might not get anything.

Ill take a 1-2 inch event and be satisfied.

NorthGAWinterWx said:
There will be more QPF, the NAM will be catching on that better within 48 hrs. Good placement of low off of the SE coast.

The problem is not QPF, it's the entire upper air setup. Our s/w barely has any energy left in it by the time it reaches the gulf.

I think the GFS is going to explode tonight

I'm with bouncy here. Not good to see more interaction like that and it's something early enough in the NAM run to not totally toss.

I think the gfs stays course for track but blows up more qpf.

Brick Tamland said:
SD said:

I'll be concerned if the Euro CMC UKM go into the tank. The American models seem to be the most sheared/less amplified/farthest east

Brick Tamland said:
SD said:

take what modeled snow you get and be happy. it's not the final outcome. as sh**** as the runs have been you still get snow with multiple different looks .
SD said:
metwannabe said:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Supershow said:
0Z NAM Snow
4b7c242eab4bac861130e0e90e3a8056.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are going to have to set some definitions here. When you say "bad" run, I expect NO snow. Then I see the map, and it says snow. Which is a good thing. Just because it doesn't show 3 feet of snow, doesn't mean it's a bad run. Its not that far off from the other models.

There is *some* time for models to further correct. But we're getting really close to the period of stream interaction so they'll have to flip fast. I am very concerned. Here I was trying to forecast the location of a deformation zone but now i'm concerned about whether or not we even see snow.

Back