• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

And this folks is why you never write off a storm that is close but not quite there. The 5h changes we’ve seen over the past 2-3 days have been minimal but in this setup they can lead to huge changes at the surface. Also I’ll say we could see this shift west even more if this goes negative a little quicker.

Happy hour off to a nice start with the NAM taking precip almost back to Wake county. Kuchera is 2-3” in NE NC and extreme SE VA, 10:1 a couple inches more. About an inch for Greenville but verbatim the coastal plain is dependent on a changeover.

Looks like a dusting to maybe 1/2" where met lives. He is west of the heaviest snow.
I'm just going to throw it out there knowing my exact location is a little unnerving....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3km is slightly more faster based off H5, still not bad but may keep precip hugging the coast and maybe spread into some parts of the coastal plain

Definitely could go either way here and we need at least a few more runs of the major globals thru 12z tomorrow but the disparity between the NAM & RGEM vs every other model in their depiction of the western extent of the precip shield w/ this storm reminds me a lot of Jan 3-4 2018 last year where everyone thought this would mainly affect areas along/east of I-95 and discounted both models because they were different but ended up being the closest to reality.

EPS 12 hours before the Jan 3-4 2018 storm began.

0z January 3 2018 EPS Mean snowfall Jan 3-4 2018 storm.png

Reality.
January 3-4 2018 NC Snowmap.png

I know it's been posted elsewhere, but with the trend and pattern it's hard not to think about Jan 2000 (I'm correctly remembering that storm had a GL too low, right?)

I know it's been posted elsewhere, but with the trend and pattern it's hard not to think about Jan 2000 (I'm correctly remembering that storm had a GL too low, right?)

yes. it developed in the Eastern Gulf. immediate coast of SC got dry slotted as it was really getting good...ended up with light ZR after a good front end thumping of sleet and brief snow. areas further north got walloped.

what also bugs me to no end is the NAM has 850mb temps cooling along the SC coast with precip as low as -4, with temps rising into the 50s with precip... don't see that happening... especially a depicted deform band right over the Lowcountry as the low is pulling away.

Back