• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/26-1/28 Winter Storm Potential

I posted this in banter but may be something we can hang our hats on especially folks along the east coast, look at the track forecast and verification of the Dec. 2010 storm. Talk about a NW shift

hpc.compare.chart.animation.gif

I think our better shot for most on here is going to be after this weekends system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Although trends overnight and yesterday haven't been good, I've noticed the GEFS still has a wide range of solutions and once in awhile the FV3 is throwing out a bomb of a storm. The setup is pretty close and if the PV eases up some as it usually does inside 96 hours then we could easily see this shifit back NW quite quickly. What's really interesting to me is how much further north the PV is on the NAVGEM which typically has a suppression bias. It's hard to tell what would happen but based on this 5H look I would expect a pretty nice LP to form.
1548166954063.png

I think our better shot for most on here is going to be after this weekends system.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I agree but even the 2nd system looks like a frontal passage. However that might work for western south east Mississippi Alabama west Georgia Tennessee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Nw trend will be welcome now. For this to work out, the shortwave must be wrong and trend eastward (on the west coast) therefore speeding it up. This will help with a NW trend in the surface low...but I have low confidence in this solution

Alot of us are still in need of cold air also. I can't imagine the press will be that hard. There still is some time for this guy to come back but after tomorrow, we might be grasping at straws.

Not liking the trends..... sorry y’all. Optimism going down. Still have time for improvement for sure, but this time Wednesday if still looking bad, might be game over.
Its cool man, If this one doesn't work out, and if Monday/Tuesday system does, then you should refresh and start over with a new thread if everything is going good. You need a another chance .

I think if this storm brings winter weather to any region the most likely areas would be Central and maybe Eastern NC depending on track. It would take a pretty strong storm like the FV3 has shown a few times and like the 00z UK shows. This is still a good possibility even though models don't show it and I wouldn't be surprised if we see them shifting back this way tonight or tomorrow.

I hope I’m posting the right energy and I hope Im seeing this correctly but the NAM is not digging as SW with the energy as the GFS/FV3, maybe a good sign for the 12z camp?

nam_z500_vort_us_29.png

gfs_z500_vort_us_16.png

fv3p_z500_vort_us_16.png

I hope I’m posting the right energy and I hope Im seeing this correctly but the NAM is not digging as SW with the energy as the GFS/FV3, maybe a good sign for the 12z camp?

nam_z500_vort_us_29.png

gfs_z500_vort_us_16.png

fv3p_z500_vort_us_16.png

Yeah I said that earlier and Storm said it was the energy after that one.

When I glanced at 6z gefs this morning, looks as if the placements of the low was north abit. There were a few big hits for the deep south, while other barely missed by a hair, and other that did go further south. I though the run was more encouraging, seeing a slight NW movement with that run. Something tells me, someone in the SE is gonna see snow in a few days

nam_z500_vort_us_29.png

gfs_z500_vort_us_16.png

fv3p_z500_vort_us_16.png

You're looking at the right piece of energy. The NAM seems to have the ridge shifted east a little versus the GFS/FV3 which have it more off the coast and digging more.

Back