• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

The 18z RGEM was a little lighter/east of the 12z run, I’ll say. Still pretty good, relatively speaking, though. Could be the beginning of a fold, but we shall see…

The Northern Stream energy was a little weaker and more positively tilted on the 18z RGEM. It's still gives a good footprint of snow, but not as much as 12z.
View attachment 108854
Yeah starting to lose the best model we had but we still got 24 hours for this to come back W/NW a tick, let's see how the 0z models look tonight as Shane pointed out, all pieces of energy will be fully sampled at that point.

Interesting how the Kuchera is picking up on the ratios for the RGEM, showing 5” versus 3-4” for Durham on the 10:1 maps.

Looks a little like January 2000. Late bloomer. modernweenie

Also nice to see Eric talking up a storm. He’s usually crushing weenies’ dreams.

I was thinking more like Dec 2000 :)

Honestly though I am happy with my 3-5" forecast that's almost my annual average in one storm....and there is still enough model support for it.

How reliable is the RGEM when it's close to gametime?
It’s a pretty good model. Ryan Maue is a big fan IIRC. It certainly is on its own to some extent, though the GFS supports it pretty well at this point (we’ll see if that still holds true in 30 minutes at 18z). I wouldn’t discount it as a bad model, but it certainly is presenting a rather extreme scenario at this point that probably shouldn’t be a median forecast.

Both ICON and RGEM backing off last run totals a concern or maybe just a wobble? We're inside 36hrs now for most of the event.

Temps beginning to drop here in PGV with a bit of northerly wind, SE Wake and points ENE are in a pretty solid spot at this stage. Fixing to put the front end loader on my 1025R and pre-position for clearing the driveway, this will be a first, stoked. :cool:

Both ICON and RGEM backing off last run totals a concern or maybe just a wobble? We're inside 36hrs now for most of the event.
A wobble, hopefully, but that's 3 wobbles in a row in the wrong direction, in terms of amounts. At what point do we concede that a wobble is a trend?

So many model runs. Can someone tell me if the GFS increased/decreased for precip & coverage at 12z from it's earlier 6z today? Trying to gage what we need to look for on the upcoming 18z

Back