• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

These changes on the modeling are wild
Yes. It's remarkable how those little changes in the northern stream make such a big difference at the surface. I guess now the question is will the northern stream dig a little more in the west? How much energy will be there? Will there be more ridging off the coast to prolong the event?

It appears the models are now pretty much at a consensus. How much will they change from here?

if we were on the snow line and saw this shift we would all be cliff diving 100%. if i am in the eastern carolinas i am loving these trends right now. not out of the game at all.

The models are just picking up the bigger extent of the NW side precip field in overrunning events, something we know they underdo especially in mid range but always seem to forget when faced with these systems lol....need this to hang out for 3-6 more hrs ( at least )....the ratios get insanely good even on the NAM its 15:1 for several hrs just light QPF.....

The models are just picking up the bigger extent of the NW side precip field in overrunning events, something we know they underdo especially in mid range but always seem to forget when faced with these systems lol....need this to hang out for 3-6 more hrs ( at least )....the ratios get insanely good even on the NAM its 15:1 for several hrs just light QPF.....
1km fv3 jumps west too.
fv3-hires_ref_frzn_seus_fh38_trend.gif

if we were on the snow line and saw this shift we would all be cliff diving 100%. if i am in the eastern carolinas i am loving these trends right now. not out of the game at all.
Agreed. Honestly given what we’re seeing even CLT, especially east of I-77 is not out of the game for a bigger hit… that NAM run put the 1” about 20 miles to my east. If the snow/mix line was 20 miles to my east 18 hours out or so, I would be convinced that I would end up mixing a lot. Another thing is that from checking out the Bukfit data, there is some evidence that higher ratios may actually play out in the scenario. I always kinda dismiss ever seeing anything over 10-12:1 around here, but this certainly looks like it could be an exception and it could have an impact on accumulation forecasts… I remember reading that one of the reasons that the January 2003 storm busted with so much higher amounts than forecasted was not giving credence to the prospect of high ratios

Agreed. Honestly given what we’re seeing even CLT, especially east of I-77 is not out of the game for a bigger hit… that NAM run put the 1” about 20 miles to my east. If the snow/mix line was 20 miles to my east 18 hours out or so, I would be convinced that I would end up mixing a lot. Another thing is that from checking out the Bukfit data, there is some evidence that higher ratios may actually play out in the scenario. I always kinda dismiss ever seeing anything over 10-12:1 around here, but this certainly looks like it could be an exception and it could have an impact on accumulation forecasts… I remember reading that one of the reasons that the January 2003 storm busted with so much higher amounts than forecasted was not giving credence to the prospect of high ratios
Another example of poor ratio modeling was January 2009, models were showing an inch or two, and Raleigh received over 6 inches of powder.

wow.
prateptype.us_ma.png

Back