• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

jesus this thread..... here is the18z ICON showing more precip out west...relax, it was one run of the NAM....
i think the thing that’s really bothering me is how skinny the margin of error is and how much leverage small tweaks in the upper levels can have. The adjustments in the NAM were… not large. It’s not like the shortwave is jumping around a ton. The edge is really close and making this forecast feels like one of those hiking videos along a cliff face with no guardrail.

I’m trying to remain sanguine but I need to see some better adjustments first. Some WAR action (not the military kind) would be killer right now

i think the thing that’s really bothering me is how skinny the margin of error is and how much leverage small tweaks in the upper levels can have. The adjustments in the NAM were… not large. It’s not like the shortwave is jumping around a ton. The edge is really close and making this forecast feels like one of those hiking videos along a cliff face with no guardrail.

I’m trying to remain sanguine but I need to see some better adjustments first. Some WAR action (not the military kind) would be killer right now
One thing that I think we can hang our hat on is that the WAR is likely going to be stronger than modeled, as it always is. How much that can slow down the N/S and get it to dig more? Idk.

Yeah this 3KM NAM run is the worst of both worlds. No snow for South Carolina and a very light snow for NE North Carolina,while also giving NE South Carolina and SE North Carolina (mainly closer to the coast) a devastating ice storm. I rarely see these sort of Ice totals actually verify,so I'm hoping this would be the case here.
Usually Ice totals don't verify but that's usually because the CAD is stronger than modeled and prime CAD regions get saved by more sleet than ZR. However, The Coast doesn't get that same extra push of cold through the upper levels of the atmosphere and being much closer to the WAA, that screams ice storm. The soundings on the 3K absolutely was ZR falling into temps in the 20's at the surface. I would be very worried if I was in the pee dee region.

For some, I went from 7" of snow last run to less than 1" this run.....
Fair point. :) Definitely worse for east or I-95. Good run for Central NC up through SE VA. A more widespread event, but that definitely mixes you guys out east. I just haven’t seen more than a couple inches of snow in seven years, so I’m desperate haha.

ICON trend is nice but can it be trusted?
View attachment 108408
I will say this as someone who has bad-mouthed the ICON more than anyone… if it’s the model that starts the trend to get this back to a decent snow, I’ll take back every bad word and never bad mouth it again

It's the ole Rain Cold thread the needle deal. The eye is quite small with this one but doable. The winning formula hasn't changed though. Keep the wave positive tilt down thru Missouri, then sharpen it strongly at the base and/or phase it with the southern stream late. Yesterday's 18z RDPS nailed it....ever since, we've moved more toward the northern stream being on its own, too far north, and too much positive tilt (good trends though possibly for those on the SE side of things)

Back