• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 1/20 - 1/23 Winter Storm

There have been 2 runs of NAM since the 0Z run you show. They look nothing like that
Yep, Nevermind - I see the 12z NAM is on the same train as the other models. Don't mind me ?‍♂️

ref1km_ptype.us_se.png

I think @Myfrotho704_ was certainly on to something a page or so back talking about the SW flow aloft overrunning the cold air. The maps he posted clearly showed that and I'll be shocked if precip shield doesn't verify slightly NW and with a little more qpf than projected atm. If true, we'll probably see all the short range models start to pick up on that either 0z tonight or 6z tomorrow, just mho

Is there still a chance this could produce a lot more precipitation than it’s showing? Seems like an overall large cut in precipitation just from 12 hours ago

long range hrrr throwing us a bone. i will take any hope i can find right now.
hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_48.png
Yes it is. Since the more expansive precip on the west side of the system comes from strong FGEN forcing, the HRRR should be able to pick up on it before other models. This past storm with the front end snow on Saturday night is a great example,

The other thing the HRRR is really trying to do is make that first wave overnight Thursday and early Friday more robust with frozen precip starting earlier

Back