• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 01/28-29/2022 Winter Weather Potential

RaleighWX updated map

FKG-KilWQAQ30Sr

This is mainly for Southern areas outside CLT/Eastern NC etc:

Those old ARW/NSSL models are pretty darn good for stormy weather; but Winter they tend to run too cold. They haven't been upgraded and likely won't be again before full replacement by the new FV3 core versions. The NAM the same idea.. FV3 core taking over..

I like the idea that the RGEM has still.. it's really showing areas who are going to have lighter precipitation with warmer temperatures towards the surface.

With that said, the RGEM tends to run a bit cold also. I like the 3KM NAM for thermal soundings and if you look closely you will see pockets of "green" on the ptype maps over the central midlands that is trying to warn that the dynamics may just be nothing.... but as you head into the Northern Midlands / CLT region the rates/dynamic cooling really takes affect.

This is a very tricky forecast for this area, and I don't envy the NWS tbh. 700mb argues deeper saturation and someone is going to get thumped by accident and it's dang near impossible to figure out who... common sense says Fairfield North -> East

This is mainly for Southern areas outside CLT/Eastern NC etc:

Those old ARW/NSSL models are pretty darn good for stormy weather; but Winter they tend to run too cold. They haven't been upgraded and likely won't be again before full replacement by the new FV3 core versions. The NAM the same idea.. FV3 core taking over..

I like the idea that the RGEM has still.. it's really showing areas who are going to have lighter precipitation with warmer temperatures towards the surface.

With that said, the RGEM tends to run a bit cold also. I like the 3KM NAM for thermal soundings and if you look closely you will see pockets of "green" on the ptype maps over the central midlands that is trying to warn that the dynamics may just be just nothing.... but as you head into the Northern Midlands / CLT region the rates/dynamic cooling really takes affect.

This is a very tricky forecast for this area, and I don't envy the NWS tbh. 700mb argues deeper saturation and someone is going to get thumped by accident and it's dang near impossible to figure out who... common sense says Fairfield North -> East
I really like Kershaw and Fairfield counties from what I’ve seen. It also may be a rare time that the panhandle of Lancaster does worse than southern.

I really like Kershaw and Fairfield counties from what I’ve seen. It also may be a rare time that the panhandle of Lancaster does worse than southern.

When it comes to the upper level, I think that anywhere between Charlotte and slightly Southeast across Northeastern SC is going to be a sweet spot. This thing is going to anchor down and slowly pivot outward from the guidance I am seeing.. and if anything the event as modeled continues to trend stronger with it.

Then, we have to factor in the coastal itself.. how much atlantic moisture is really going to get involved here... is this coastal actually going to verify slower, deeper, and closer to the coast? Is something going to happen that the models aren't going to handle correctly? I'm not one to bring up dates of previous storms and the model misses; but this setup isn't something too common at these latitudes and it makes one question some of the runs we have seen over the past days.... is there a surprise in store?

Is the dry slot actually well over modeled... think about those vorticity maps we saw with shrapnel all over the coastal regions of SC/NC as the base of the trough goes belligerent and tries to explode. That is something I do not expect even the shortest range models to do well.

more in NC than Boston from this system after it was shown to be bringing the feet.... man, the meltdown in the NE threads would be tasty!
you-hate-to-see-it.gif

We're not too far away from it coming back in towards the coast up there, though.

oh come on guys. i really liked the nam and i think yall are being too pessimistic.
Two superb trends here- four corners shortwave keeps ticking east. I also love, love the subtle west shifts on the western edge of the longwave trough- it's ticking further west. think that favors a little more digging and helps with the tilt issue.

View attachment 110945

Thought the surface reflection was also remarkably reasonable. gun to my head somebody tells me "draw the precip shield of a sub 1000 lp 200 miles east of ILM" i probably draw something like this.

namconus_ref_frzn_seus_37.png

3km was a little iffier with cyclogenesis, it didn't have it building towards s florida- something to keep an eye on.
I agree. I think the next few runs of the Nam will be even better.

Where do you find the lee side low forming, is that showing up still on the mesoscale models this morning? I can't find it.
The maps on psu ewall are usually good at showing the meso low. Can see it here on the 06z GFS (top middle panel of images). It's not a Wham-Bam feature, but you can see the kink in the isobars where you can connect an inverted trough line from the meso low in the upstate to the sfc low off the coast. But there is some enhanced low level convergence associated with it (enhancing rising motion). As mentioned before, the precip will tend to form and expand in the lee of the Apps, then slowly move off to the east and southeast. Temperatures tomorrow aftn are likely to get up to 45-50, but the near sfc warm layer is tiny. Any meaningful precip should crash everything over to snow Fri evening/night

lLj7rTr.gif

9nI3Aka.gif

Back