• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 01/28-29/2022 Winter Weather Potential

I’m still skeptical about that dry clot .. also we’re still 1-2 days away here there is room for changes
Yes I agree… that track is close enough to the coast that precip should be filling in that dry slot… I would watch the HRRR in coming runs to see if it fills it in

Best shot for snow at this point for most is going to be the pivoting ULL band. Luckily these things are usually more widespread with precip and have heavier returns within them. I think 2-4” is going to be a strong possibility from GSP to CLT to GSO and yes even down towards Columbia (especially the northern suburbs) as it stand a right now.
Thats definietly the case for your area. I sit right on the line of both and preferably for myself would feel more confident in the coastal winding up and staying tugged in tight than depending on some upper level energy getting lined up just right in a pivot. This would require the ULL to stack quicker along SC coast so its deepening as it rides in tight up the NC coast, Course , there is a way to score both ways. But west of 85 no doubt your rooting for pivoting ULL. I have pretty decent/ not perfect odds whichever way it plays out.

This is mighty depressing watching from Raleigh I need a shift East please ?
This just isn’t something that would help Raleigh much, as this is more geared to helping the western Piedmont… CLT metro to the Triad and west. I still think if the surface low follows the track the Euro is showing, Raleigh will get in on more from that than what’s being depicted

If we can just not waste precip on initial rain we could really score here.
Based on the soundings, it should be solidly snow even while the surface depicts rain… perhaps there’s a bit of drizzle very initially while the lowest levels become saturated, but as soon as the rates get beyond that the temperature crashes to freezing in a matter of minutes

Based on the soundings, it should be solidly snow even while the surface depicts rain… perhaps there’s a bit of drizzle very initially while the lowest levels become saturated, but as soon as the rates get beyond that the temperature crashes to freezing in a matter of minutes
Yeah I’m not concerned about that aspect of the setup either

Are we dealing with higher ratios down here like RAH was mentioning for the Raleigh area?

Snippet from MHX’s overnight AFD

Accumulation amounts remain notably uncertain, dependent on the track and timing of the low offshore and, perhaps to a greater extent, the character of the aforementioned weak inland troughing, which could abate CAA and limit the wrap-around moisture transport, limiting accumulation totals. Unfortunately, not much confidence increase in how these features will behave since the last forecast update, with a nearly persistent snowfall accumulation forecast mainly 2-3 inches across the US Hwy 64/264 corridor trending to little to no accumulation south of New Bern, which is representative of a blend of the models which seem to be resolving the rapidly deepening offshore low the best. A Winter Storms Watch has been issued for the these counties along US Hwy 64/264 given the potential for 3 inches of accumulation, with locally higher amounts possible. It is also worth noting that, dependent on how long the snowfall persists into the day Saturday as the gradient is tightening along the Northern Outer Banks, Blizzard conditions of gusts > 35 mph and falling snow combining to reduce visibilities to 1/4 mile or less are possible at times”

Are we dealing with higher ratios down here like RAH was mentioning for the Raleigh area?
That’s so difficult to say. I always lean on climo around here when it comes to ratios, because it’s so hard to get much above 10-12:1 here… I thought last week may be the exception but we still just managed 13:1.

Yeah I’m not concerned about that aspect of the setup either

I am always concerned about a rain to snow transition. Especially when NWS mentions it in their discussion. I think it's reasonable we lose a bit of qpf in the changeover.

Shame we're pitting east versus west here. Hate to get the mesolow and leave eastern folks out, hate to get tucked coastal and leave us out. Wish we could get both. Frankly not sure which is going happen.

Here's the 3K showing a nice evolution of the band associated with the upper trough. I hate relying on these things. They can be fickle and can also disappear like a fart in the wind. But if these trends remain steady today then WSW may be needed for the 85 corridor from CLT to the Triad. Best of luck to everyone.

By the way: TD now has precip maps for the EC.
floop-nam4km-2022012706.ref1km_ptype.us_ma.gif

Here's the 3K showing a nice evolution of the band associated with the upper trough. I hate relying on these things. They can be fickle and can also disappear like a fart in the wind. But if these trends remain steady today then WSW may be needed for the 85 corridor from CLT to the Triad. Best of luck to everyone.

By the way: TD now has precip maps for the EC.
View attachment 110927

See how that thing dives down at the tip? If it weren't for the "meh" temps, I would say that the Midlands 100% jackpot with this look.. but the Central areas are just so darn warm.

Back