• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Have to think the cmc is over amplifying here or that was the start of the NW trend.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The shortwave has been amplifying even on the Euro in the short-medium term and the increased separation does have me worried a bit if this can generate a lot of diabatic heating it could become super amped, cut-off, and/or switch everything to rain SE of GSO and Roxboro. There's a lot of possible scenarios that need to be sorted out but the CMC isn't that unrealistic given that increasing amplification and NW trends in the low pressure track, precipitation shield, etc. that tend to occur here and the dynamical forcing at hand that's favorable for expansion of the precipitation shield perhaps even into the mid Atlantic

I went from 6 inches to 0, then back to 7 inches in 3 runs this evening, lol. The only probable run is the 0 run 'cause that's what happened last year when I was in the bullseye :) T
No joke

The shortwave has been amplifying even on the Euro in the short-medium term and the increased separation does have me worried a bit if this can generate a lot of diabatic heating it could become super amped, cut-off, and/or switch everything to rain SE of GSO and Roxboro. There's a lot of possible scenarios that need to be sorted out but the CMC isn't that unrealistic given that increasing amplification and NW trends in the low pressure track, precipitation shield, etc. that tend to occur here and the dynamical forcing at hand that's favorable for expansion of the precipitation shield perhaps even into the mid Atlantic
Your right of cmc is close to right south of 20, and east and se of 85 is no bueno

Spann still stuck on "a few snowflakes mixed in with the rain" for central AL Friday.
Thx for all the great updates here :)
Yea always best to stay conservative until your with 36-48 hour event here in the south. Lol. If you miss a snow forecast they tend to bring out the trolls. Lol

There is a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing it bomb cut off then roll by. At least we know we would see snow on Saturday after agonizing cold rain Friday

Never pays to be in the bullseye more than a few hours out, lol. Something tells me you and I will do ok. Probably not 7 inches, but probably more than a few pellets. Just seems time for a contrarian storm :) Tony
Would be nice for sure

Your right of cmc is close to right south of 20, and east and se of 85 is no bueno

Yeah the favored look w/ an amped up Miller A cyclone is to have a big snow gradient in the NC piedmont between Raleigh-Durham and Greensboro - Winston-Salem. Even though I know we completely ruled out sleet falling here, I've seen several big dog coastals in the historical record, like January 1940 (the strongest LP area south of Hatteras in January) put down some serious sleet in Raleigh only to have twice as much snow fall in Durham like 15-20 miles to the NW. January 2000 is an anomaly and an exception not the rule

There is a part of me that wouldn't mind seeing it bomb cut off then roll by. At least we know we would see snow on Saturday after agonizing cold rain Friday

Very true of course i guess it wouldnt have a substantial snowpack to our north however it will likely melt too early before it really matters in that December 15-20 period when something else may show up...

Very true of course i guess it wouldnt have a substantial snowpack to our north however it will likely melt too early before it really matters in that December 15-20 period when something else may show up...
What does Wake county need here to get a cmc solution but SE. That gradient reminds me way too much of January 2017

I don't have UKMET maps so early, but I'm hearing it may be more amped to give some sort of credit to the CMC. Not as much, though.

JMA right all along?

What does Wake county need here to get a cmc solution but SE. That gradient reminds me way too much of January 2017

We're going to less amplified shortwave, with less separation, a deeper arctic airmass (which could be aided by those systems running out in front of this on Thu) to push the sub zero (centigrade) 850s further SE, and a slightly weaker coastal but we might be trending in the wrong direction for that

I don't have UKMET maps so early, but I'm hearing it may be more amped to give some sort of credit to the CMC. Not as much, though.

JMA right all along?
Here is mslp with 500mb heights at 72 hours. The precip panels and 500mb vort will come out shortly on meteocentre website.
3ba64f3ad12b8c48d81242381eceb652.gif

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back