• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

E2916B36-EE67-426F-9535-3E4B499AA58F.png That she blows! Upper levels and BL, need some work, but when don’t they? Can iron out the details, as we head into Dumpster December!:(

The latest GFS has a southern slider except it is very suppressed and there is no cold air on December 2.

The latest GFS has a southern slider except it is very suppressed and there is no cold air on December 2.
How is it surpressed without cold air? I thought storms was surpressed when high pressure is to strong. Early indications look like no southeast snow storm the first week of December. Hope I’m wrong. Maybe mid December will look better

prateptype_cat.conus.png

How is it surpressed without cold air? I thought storms was surpressed when high pressure is to strong. Early indications look like no southeast snow storm the first week of December. Hope I’m wrong. Maybe mid December will look better

It’s suppressed under high pressure and taps the gulf, the issue is its hour 324 and the GFS has no idea what it’s doing. What I’d take away from this is there’s an active STJ spitting out systems... it’s simply too far out to make a case for anything but that.

3502a4c4292abd40f19bee3dabb81e5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Op GFS has been backing off the strength of the NAO block for several runs in a row now. EPS still looks great and GEFS looks solid too. Curious to see if GEFS starts to back off.

View attachment 7478

View attachment 7477

I recommend folks don’t compare these weathermodels.com numbers for the -AO/-NAO to the ones we’re used to seeing as they are highly inflated. This has been noted the last year of two. They’re not apples to apples.

Last edited:
“Suppressing” is a relative term and is anything but depressing for folks in the southern portion of the forum membership like Phil and myself. “Suppressed” is always good from our perspective.

Suppressed ≠ Depressed ... :cool:

“Suppressing” is a relative term and is anything but depressing for folks in the southern portion of the forum membership like Phil and myself. “Suppressed” is always good from our perspective.
Man, where you been? All these indices pointing to the greatest winter ever in the southeast! Even the unicorn-NAO! What’s your thoughts? Are we losing the -NAO on the models already?

Although Phil and myself have actually had a warmer than normal Nov so far (that will likely change in the 2nd half), the bulk of the country has been colder than normal. From research I did a number of years ago that was presented at American (one nasty guy there called it “garbage”/I’ll never forget that and is one of the reasons I’ll never go back there (terrible moderators overall)), a colder than normal SE November is partially correlated to a colder than normal SE DJF. So, I think a cold Nov (for most) is good news.

Back