• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

Something else to watch... over the years I’ve noticed that the bulk of the well below normal cold has been focused in Siberia. If the seasonal models are picking things up correctly then it seems that cold will be centered on our side of the globe and dumped into the US. IF this indeed verifies and we have an active southern jet then it could make a lot of folks very happy.

What Phil and cd2 said. Cold relative to normal can't be everywhere. There's only so much cold air. Think of the warmth in Canada as blocking. Areas of blocking are warm relative to normal. In this case, cold air is sort of blocked from lingering too long in Canada and instead it comes south. When Canadian highs plunge down into the US, they're often replaced up there with warmer air. Still, much colder than normal in the US is typically as warm or warmer than much of Canada when Canada is much warmer than normal because it modifies after leaving its Canadian cold source. I'd say that for most cold SE winters, a good part of Canada is "warm".
You are good, Larry ... ;)

80B51C17-A81A-4AD8-9791-B2C9FC4D9D7D.png
Greenville is a great place to live but it sure can be aggravating. For those who say “rates will overcome.” This is proof that rates never overcome. Warm Nose headquarters

Could the volcanic eruptions that happened in Hawaii affect our winter this year?
Not at all. They're weak compared to what other volcanoes have produced and are located in a region that wouldn't have any drastic effect on anything. A larger eruption would have to occur or something like an Iceland eruption to have an effect.

Not at all. They're weak compared to what other volcanoes have produced and are located in a region that wouldn't have any drastic effect on anything. A larger eruption would have to occur or something like an Iceland eruption to have an effect.
Gotcha just wondering cause I watched a video about valcanoes effects on the climate.

Dumb question, will above average Atlantic SSTs affect the strength of winter storms or are they only a huge factor with tropical systems?

View attachment 6998
Greenville is a great place to live but it sure can be aggravating. For those who say “rates will overcome.” This is proof that rates never overcome. Warm Nose headquarters
Can’t wait till our Nov 1 snow, and nothing else the rest of winter!!!
Maybe KS, NB and some of those plains locations that got there earliest snow on record a day or two ago, will be there only shot and winter and they torch the rest of the winter, while we get our 09/10, and ‘77 redux in the East!?:weenie:

Maybe KS, NB and some of those plains locations that got there earliest snow on record a day or two ago, will be there only shot and winter and they torch the rest of the winter, while we get our 09/10, and ‘77 redux in the East!?:weenie:
hot dam

0CA3845F-7CB2-4540-94CB-1F355F474532.jpeg

I’ll take a February 12, 2010 redux and call it a decade..if I remember correctly, 850’s were way below freezing for most of the storm capped off with .1-.2 of ice as she pulled away. That snow was fluffy and the ratios were probably the best I’ve ever seen in these parts

Last edited:
That was a pretty good boardwide snowstorm.
View attachment 7009

I’ll take a February 12, 2010 redux and call it a decade..if I remember correctly, 850’s were way below freezing for most of the storm capped off with .1-.2 of ice as she pulled away. That snow was fluffy and the ratios were probably the best I’ve ever seen in these parts

View attachment 7009

I loved that snowstorm. It was very close for MBY though. We had been forecasted to receive 4-7 inches of snow. It was just cold rain for most of the night however, ruining any chances of getting a good snowpack. The cold air finally mixed in just before dawn and only an hour or so before it ended. The snow was a very wet kind. But that was the first time I'd ever build a real, rolled up, snowman (and a muddy one at that!). Before I would just grab handfuls of snow and try to stick them together to make some kind of snowball. It was still a great winter overall, and I did enjoy the snow.

Dumb question, will above average Atlantic SSTs affect the strength of winter storms or are they only a huge factor with tropical systems?

It can enhance coastal lows moving up along the Gulf Stream if the 5H setup allows for it. I think once we start seeing consistent cold shots those anomalies will lessen or even go back closer to normal.

View attachment 7009

Me too. I haven't seen snow that heavy and for that long since then.

Just for fun... the 00z FV3 showed this out at around 300 hours.
fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_51.png

Just for fun... the 00z FV3 showed this out at around 300 hours.
fv3p_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_51.png

If we get an October Winter storm, that's just the KOD for the winter...just sayin.

No worries though that can't happen as shown. There's a high over the great lakes and that's just crazy. Everybody knows that there's usually a low there. Phew, thank goodness. :)

Back