• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern September Somnolence

It was actually one of the best winters of the 1980s in NC overall in terms of combined cold & snow. Much of the piedmont and mountains doubled-tripled their seasonal snowfall, averages. It really sucked along/east of I-95 except in the southern coastal plain towards Fayetteville & Lumberton where their snowfall averages are pretty low.
I was talking outside of NC. :confused: However Larry answered the part on ATL and it sounds like it was a decent one at least over here. Not sure about SC, TN, or AL.

I was talking outside of NC. :confused: However Larry answered the part on ATL and it sounds like it was a decent one at least over here. Not sure about SC, TN, or AL.

Overall looked a little better than normal if you look at the entire state of SC. Towards Greenville they got hammered w/ about 12-13" of snow, (mostly in January), Columbia was close to their long-term average w/ 1", further south it was fairly benign.

I am amazed at how warm the forecasts are for the next 15 days for the US as a whole and for the NE/Midwest especially. Even the SE gets in on this heat with RDU &
ATL averaging about 5 & 3.5, respectively, warmer than normal 8/31-9/14. Some areas in the Midwest/NE are as much as 8-9 warmer than normal!

Going back to 1950 on a nationally degree day population weighted basis, the forecast I saw is for record warmth by about 1 degree/day averaged out vs the current record warm holder of 2015 and which is as warm as the 30 year normal for July 1-15!!

This also tells me that the forecasted E US ridging to our north could easily be in record strong territory going back to 1950 when looking at 8/31-9/14 as a whole. This would mean the JB “ridge over troubled waters” in overdrive should it verify and merits a very close eye on any TC that happens to be located not too far off the SE coast as it would be in a potentially threatening position to move WNW or NW into the SE US as Webb and others have mentioned.

I had some wicked thunderstorms move in around 5:30 last night. These pictures were taken when the storms were about 10 miles south of me. As far as future temps it doesn’t look to good for cooler weather anytime soon. I guess better now then in November when it starts to really count though.

d994ef69add47893cc24b8496538dac7.jpg

689291c783c1b7b1bbc2207d142dff4b.jpg

ed81260fb2e4eafc1b5f86ea1f802791.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting times ahead hemispherically

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FOURHORSEMEN.jpg

Went down to the mountain, I was drinking some wine
Looked up in the Heaven, Lord, I saw a mighty sign
Written fire across the heaven, plain as black and white
'Get prepared, there's gonna be a party tonight'
Then God way up in Heaven, for whatever it was worth
Thought He'd have a big old party, thought He'd call it Planet Earth
Don't worry about tomorrow, Lord, you'll know it when it comes
When the rock and roll music meets the risin' Planet Sun

Last edited:
It was actually one of the best winters of the 1980s in NC overall in terms of combined cold & snow. Much of the piedmont and mountains doubled-tripled their seasonal snowfall averages. It really sucked along/east of I-95 except in the southern coastal plain towards Fayetteville & Lumberton where their snowfall averages are pretty low.
Yep the closer to the mountains and the Virginia border the better it was. Big snowstorms on Jan1, Jan 22, Jan 25, in late Feb, and another in early April. A big sleet storm in the middle of Feb too over much of NC and northwest SC.

For GA south of an Atlanta to Athens line and most of Al, Miss, and lower SC it was not a great winter. Not sure about TN though, except in the mountains.

I am amazed at how warm the forecasts are for the next 15 days for the US as a whole and for the NE/Midwest especially. Even the SE gets in on this heat with RDU &
ATL averaging about 5 & 3.5, respectively, warmer than normal 8/31-9/14. Some areas in the Midwest/NE are as much as 8-9 warmer than normal!

Going back to 1950 on a nationally degree day population weighted basis, the forecast I saw is for record warmth by about 1 degree/day averaged out vs the current record warm holder of 2015 and which is as warm as the 30 year normal for July 1-15!!

This also tells me that the forecasted E US ridging to our north could easily be in record strong territory going back to 1950 when looking at 8/31-9/14 as a whole. This would mean the JB “ridge over troubled waters” in overdrive should it verify and merits a very close eye on any TC that happens to be located not too far off the SE coast as it would be in a potentially threatening position to move WNW or NW into the SE US as Webb and others have mentioned.
I guess the only good thing is that the sun angle is much lower in September than in July and the days are shorter which makes it easier to tolerate the heat and humidity.

Just cut my grass real low so the drought and heat will make it go dormant and I will be finished for the year! That almost guarantees I get a storm tomorrow, after nothing for like 14 days straight!:(

I guess the only good thing is that the sun angle is much lower in September than in July and the days are shorter which makes it easier to tolerate the heat and humidity.
It could be worse. It could be like 2 years ago when it torched like this in September, and kept torching like the energizer bunny all through the fall and basically all winter. I'm glad that's not happening (I don't think)

Got hammered here tonight with rain, some hail, decent 35-45mph winds and sharp lightning for several hours. Radar estimates 2.75” at my house, what a storm!

Canada is showing signs of fall... here's the end of tonight's Goofus run, a nice fall front (at least for the Midwest) and a 'cane in the Atlantic. Maybe absorbed into the East coast front, or curving out to the North Atlantic. Who knows.
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_52.png

September 2002 SST has some similarities to now and September 2002 was very warm.

2002 has been thrown around for hurricane season too... was a late peaking season(first hurricane was on September 10th!)

and yes the end of the GFS looks interesting

the Euro just brought a hurricane into New Orleans on Wednesday morning

Okay then
minimal, but yeah... that's interesting.. that part of the gulf is prime for something, according to the NWS.

Back