• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

12z WRF-NMM keeps it over the ocean all the way to the panhandle.

We'll see how long this lasts. Steering has temporarily broken down. The storm is left to its own accord determining motion. Will the steering remain neutral for the next 6 hours? Will the storm drift SW back into Cuba due to land friction? Will the digging SW finally latch on and the storm move straight North? Has the weakening changed the level of the steering flow to more neutral? If it gets through this ERC thingy and begins to deepen what level of the steering will have the most influence? Back W, WNW, NNW hell SSW? The plot thickens lmfao. Then again it could just last an hour and we're back to the races :cool:

This is an interesting map. It is the maritime traffic flow, reflecting live updates for commercial vessels.
If you want to see how shipping companies are reacting to (and in reality projecting) the storm, this is an interesting view, since it shows how mariners and their companies are seeing it. Lives, ships, and money are what they are dealing with.
You can zoom in and out and move across the world. You can see the directions ships are headed, as well as what the ships are, by type and by name. Plus more!
It’s certainly a few minutes of fun! At least for me. :)

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-78.3/centery:25.4/zoom:6

All I can say is this is why, this freakin why I'm obsessed lol

This and the Inauguration Day Windstorm of 1993 in Seattle have fascinated me more than any other storms I have monitored.. I love that this time around I get to share my geekdom with all you awesome folks as well!!!

We'll see how long this lasts. Steering has temporarily broken down. The storm is left to its own accord determining motion. Will the steering remain neutral for the next 6 hours? Will the storm drift SW back into Cuba due to land friction? Will the digging SW finally latch on and the storm move straight North? Has the weakening changed the level of the steering flow to more neutral? If it gets through this ERC thingy and begins to deepen what level of the steering will have the most influence? Back W, WNW, NNW hell SSW? The plot thickens lmfao. Then again it could just last an hour and we're back to the races :cool:

Well the problem is the weakness is just that, a weakness, it is not a strong trough or ULL. I guess the strong hot outflow is enough to pump the ridge enough to slow it down.

I think she might have hit the breaks. Y’all know what that means?

Irma still moving W/WNW on radar. Slow but shes moving

Not sure if it's been posted but has anyone seen the footage from Long Island in the Bahamas of the water being pulled away from the shoreline?

Back