• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 2)

look how big she is right now, for goodness sakes ...
No doubt she is huge already. The upper level clouds rolled in here around noon and have only become thicker.
Hurricane_Irma_Sat_Img_Sep102017_Evening.jpg

NAM is west of 18z at hour 27. Not but a whole lot but it's no doubt west

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

I know its the NAM but your right its a little later on the NW turn into GA. BTW, has some 100kt+ winds at 850mb when it gets in here.

What's that mean on the surface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I am trying to say if you couldn't figure it out is that once Irma reaches South GA, the NAM won't be as bad of a model. The NAM is a mesoscale model, so it is better with storms on land. Maybe not so much direction, but rather severe weather, squall band locations, etc. Not sure how you got " Irma isn't going into S GA" out of it. :confused:

Yeah the NAM probably won't be as bad with Irma once it gets deeper into its domain and transitions to a cold core extratropical cyclone, with most of the convection and precipitation asymmetrical weighted to the west and north of the storm, because the model is largely incapable of resolving warm core processes ongoing in the inner cores of tropical cyclones, but tends to be a little better with mid-latitude cyclones.

Thanks for all of the information over the past few days. Lived in NOLA all my life but never thought I'd be model watching up here in Birmingham! Not really sure what to expect here but regardless of the weather I'll be at work tomorrow. Everyone stay safe!

Yeah the NAM probably won't be as bad with Irma once it gets deeper into its domain and transitions to a cold core extratropical cyclone, with most of the convection and precipitation asymmetrical weighted to the west and north of the storm, because the model is largely incapable of resolving warm core processes ongoing in the inner cores of tropical cyclones, but tends to be a little better with mid-latitude cyclones.
The 12km and 3km are actually pretty nasty around here if this run is right...from what I can tell, about 45kt sustained winds and about 100kts at 850mb around here tomorrow.

Back