• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just saw a model verification elsewhere, the Euro has been the best, followed by the UKMET, then the CMC, then the GFS lol, that's right even the CMC has beat the GFS

irma_ukmet00z0902.jpg

As a Georgian, I'm feeling quite a bit better than I've felt in awhile! These 1st 3 of the big 4 0Z models are all encouraging. Please, King, be nice to me. :)

Also, I see that the NHC day 5 position, though ominous since it is right here, weakened her to a 2 due to shear. I wasn't aware of this possibility til now.

While the NHC did a nice job early on staying on the southwestern end of the guidance envelope w/ Irma in the central Atlantic, the fact that they gave the GFS any weight there really hurt their forecasts relative to the ECMWF. The GFS' convective parameterization scheme leads to the model breaking down subtropical ridges more quickly than forecast especially in the eastern MDR. The GFS however may become more competitive relative to other guidance in the western Atlantic given that the globals are not properly handling Irma's Rossby penetration depth even though it still may not be the best model...

hmon_mslp_uv850_11L_30.png

HMON holding serve pretty strong landfall on the SE portion of Florida and then back out briefly before running into GA coastline between Brunswick and Savannah as a still pretty strong cat 3 Hurricane roughly

Last edited:
Should be interesting to see how Irma interacts with Hispaniola over the next 24-36 hours. While Irma won't directly pass over the island, it may end up being close enough that downsloping off the high terrain (that's in excess of 10,000 feet in places) will cause relatively less buoyant, drier, adiabatically compressed air to potentially become entrained Irma's circulation and/or the southern semi-circle of the tropical cyclone. Normally, this wouldn't negatively impact a significantly weaker tropical cyclone in a similar location, but given how broad Irma's inflow is and that it's a category 5 hurricane, if conditions become even a little less than perfect this can lead to weakening, but Irma will still be a powerful TC...

Didn't the UKMET nail Matthew when the other models were all over the place even up until under 20 hours? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't the UKMET nail Matthew when the other models were all over the place even up until under 20 hours? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dunno about 20 hours but definitely 4 days out it did. 4 days out the spaghetti plot had Matthew OTS and the UKMET riding the EC of FL

Last edited:
Finally weakening!!

Reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
that maximum sustained winds are now near 180 mph (290 km/h) with
higher gusts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back