• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Harvey

BTW if anyone noticed, recon is flying around in Harvey again.
recon_AF302-0209A-HARVEY.png

BTW if anyone noticed, recon is flying around in Harvey again.
recon_AF302-0209A-HARVEY.png
They seem to be finding 50 mph surface winds as well. Looking at the raw data, I saw it appears their data got messed up at one point as it showed an obviously flagged 155 knot winds speed :p. How can that even mess up that badly? Just updated, and max seems to be 57 mph?

GFS actually has Harvey alive this run(I know, shocker)... actually gets down to the 990s in the BOC and landfalls near Tampico much like Franklin. Not much to see before Belize

2hnp2d3.png
lot of northward motion in the Gulf. Would probably have a lot of time too assuming it exists.
2hnp2d3.png
Not wishcasting, but the path has gone pretty far north since yesterday. Wouldn't be surprise if this tended north even more within the next couple of days.

I do think it'll probably die in the next day or two then regenerate approaching Honduras/Belize

The forecast for Harvey gets very tricky after day 3... There's definitely going to be a window for this system to gain an appreciable amount of latitude in the Gulf around day 6-7 before the subtropical ridge briefly attempts rebuilds in around day 8-9, this window will be much larger than it was for Franklin... Generally speaking the stronger Harvey becomes, the more latitude it's liable to gain in the long run and thus the more time it will have to intensify over water, & so on/so forth. Still too early to say what impact, if any Harvey may have on the US, and we'll likely know more after this weekend once it gets in the vicinity of Nicaragua/Honduras and beyond the central Caribbean graveyard, but interests in the Gulf of Mexico and Central America should keep a close eye on this over the coming days. It's entirely possible Harvey disintegrates into a tropical wave axis within the next 48 hours and a new circulation forms once it passes the longitude of Jamaica, which could throw a large curve ball into nwp forecasts and its long term future...
ecmwf-ens_z500aNorm_watl_7.png

The forecast for Harvey gets very tricky after day 3... There's definitely going to be a window for this system to gain an appreciable amount of latitude in the Gulf around day 6-7 before the subtropical ridge briefly attempts rebuilds in around day 8-9, this window will be much larger than it was for Franklin... Generally speaking the stronger Harvey becomes, the more latitude it's liable to gain in the long run and thus the more time it will have to intensify over water, & so on/so forth. Still too early to say what impact, if any Harvey may have on the US, and we'll likely know more after this weekend once it gets in the vicinity of Nicaragua/Honduras and beyond the central Caribbean graveyard, but interests in the Gulf of Mexico and Central America should keep a close eye on this over the coming days. It's entirely possible Harvey disintegrates into a tropical wave axis within the next 48 hours and a new circulation forms once it passes the longitude of Jamaica, which could throw a large curve ball into nwp forecasts and its long term future...
View attachment 876

Agree there too.

it is good to see the GFS finally have a storm :eek: I was getting concerned there :p

this is the strongest run I've seen before Belize

and it's north closer to Texas this run... pretty weak though

Meanwhile the CMC has a hurricane into Brownsville

the UKMET also shifted north

Last edited:
Cmc has same landfall as gfs in texas. I bet future runs will indeed be further north.

Back