• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Don't we often see strong ridging highs back off a bit in the last 48 hours? Seems like that's always the case with our NW trend with winter systems. I know that this is a different setup and invest 95L has really been pumping the high, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the ridge lift or weaken a bit over the next few runs.

Well as of now, the ridge is already stronger than modeled, per RAH.

Y’all, I am still having trouble believing that this thing will perfectly track the SE coastline SW from Wilmington to Charleston and come ashore near the GA/SC line and move WSW int GA. I’m sorry but that’s absurd. I think it may yet go through upper SC.

Completely agree. If that actually happens I'd be completely shocked. Much more likely is for it to stall and drift west IMO. It seems like everybody's glued to the models, but they forget in another 2 cycles the models will all change again. Nhc track is on the northern end of model consensus. That tells you how they feel as well.

Well this story continues to make us go closer to insanity. I don't know what to expect anymore, but personally I think this thing is going to find a middle ground and make landfall between Charleston and Myrtle Beach with a bit of a short stall offshore, then an acceleration inland and due west. Of course it's not going to be good for anyone and the wind field will likely blow up to a huge size like with Irma.

Something of note I've been tracking since yesterday is the EPS and Euro have been consistently verifying too far SW even 12 hours out from a forecast cycle and the UK ensembles haven't even been close. The 6z GFS and NAM did come in a touch north, the 12z runs will be key to watch and see if we get any additional shifts like that. One thing I'm watching closely is the RGEM. It's not a tropical model but it did exceptionally well a few weeks ago with that tropical storm in the gulf and the further east track that it ended up taking.
rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_seus_44.png

Can see without the aid of a trough bulk of precip will be north/east side of Flo. Would do wonders for the coastal flooding if this stalled just a hair further N/E.

We should know by now that any big event here, either winter storms or hurricanes, always changes 48 hours out.

Didn't see this posted anywhere but the UK rainfall totals are scary, I've never seen a model show this much rain before.
Rainfall.JPG

Completely agree. If that actually happens I'd be completely shocked. Much more likely is for it to stall and drift west IMO. It seems like everybody's glued to the models, but they forget in another 2 cycles the models will all change again. Nhc track is on the northern end of model consensus. That tells you how they feel as well.

It doesn't really say anything about how they feel in terms of track, it's strictly for continuity purposes why they're north of the guidance. There's a reason the models shifted south, the high to the west & northwest of Florence intensified & is already stronger than forecast, huge red flag. Just because you or anyone else here haven't seen anything like this before doesn't make it any less legitimate meteorologically, again, see hurricane Betsy (1965). Notice this ridge is even stronger than the one that turned Betsy SW-SSW east of Florida. A lot of people used the climatology/this hasn't happened before argument already about a week or so ago to claim Florence would go OTS and we all know how that panned out.

ecmwf-ens_z500aNorm_namer_6.png

compday.jN1s2AMlXo.gif

Betsy_1965_track.png

We should know by now that any big event here, either winter storms or hurricanes, always changes 48 hours out.
On a global scale, things are not changing significantly. We obsess over the mesoscale meteorology because it effects us and large populated areas. Small changes can cause havoc for us personally, but the world keeps turning.

I'm going to sound like the NHC now but don't focus on just the center point and let your guard down just because the center is not passing over your house. Her wind field about a hundred and fifty miles east and is expanding and there could still be numerous power outages well inland, again I remember Hurricane Irene people in Roanoke Rapids were without power for almost 10 days. The center of Irene about a hundred and fifty miles east and an 85 mile per hour hurricane.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm going to sound like the NHC now but don't focus on just the center point and let your guard down just because the center is not passing over your house. Her wind field about a hundred and fifty miles east and is expanding and there could still be numerous power outages well inland, again I remember Hurricane Irene people in Roanoke Rapids were without power for almost 10 days. The center of Irene about a hundred and fifty miles east and an 85 mile per hour hurricane.

I think the angle of approach made it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just because you or anyone else here haven't seen anything like this before doesn't make it any less legitimate meteorologically
Very good point. We keep seeing records in the Atlantic broken and new paths for storm all the time. People tend to think analogs and initial forecasts are set in stone and have the same influence as one put out 4 days ago. Yes, it's important to note trends, but use the trends to make better forecasts, not get stuck on the same idea even if it dramatically changes.

Here's a question while things are slower this morning, what makes the "Hurricane Models" special? How are they different than other medium range models? Does anyone know?

Well obviously Irene kept moving northward but it parallel to coast and we were on the weakest side of that storm, just shows you different storms have different issues, that had an expanding wind field and a slow mover. I've seen storm scrape the Outer Banks I never got as much as a breeze

By the way I'm not suggesting anything remotely like that with this storm, just a reminder don't be surprised that the power flickers a couple of hundred miles away from the center haha

Webb made a great post.....Just because we don't see it happen that often, or even ever, doesn't mean it can't or won't happen now. I admit, this would be my first real time seeing something do this. (on this scale). I have seen storms stop and drop south then west then east...etc....but this would be unique for sure. Now, IMHO, NHC knows that the trend for this stall and backing SSW then W or whatever, pick your flavor of model, but they are not going to over correct. I think the 11am adv is going to be some bigger changes. I don't know that for sure, just my gut telling me that.

Don't we often see strong ridging highs back off a bit in the last 48 hours? Seems like that's always the case with our NW trend with winter systems. I know that this is a different setup and invest 95L has really been pumping the high, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the ridge lift or weaken a bit over the next few runs.

That is because it's winter and the -NAO is a myth.

Back