Pattern Jarring January

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Someone read our warm posts today and Goofy's been drinkin' accordingly for Happy Hour ...

2018010918_CON_GFS_SFC_SLP_THK_RH_372.gif

... in fact, Goofy insists on closing the bar after last call ... :eek:

Someone read our warm posts today and Goofy's been drinkin' for Happy Hour ...

View attachment 2640

... in fact, Goofy insists on closing the bar after last call ... :eek:

Yeah, Happy Hour has an additional Arctic high dropping down. This run has 3 more warm days followed by cold 1/14-18 followed by 3 warm days followed by cold again 1/23-25.
Also, the EPS is trending colder. If things were to keep trending the way of happy hour, any warm dominated period would be delayed even more as that is more back and forth through 1/25. For the record, I have the period 1/16-2/28 warm dominated with at least 2 warmer than normal for the SE as a whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kylo and pcbjr
Could someone take time out of their night to make a temperature departure from average assessment on the months of, say, April/May 2017 through the first week of January 2018 for a major city in the southeast such as Asheville Raleigh or Greenville? I'm willing to bet it defies the warming tend we've seen the past 10+ years

Could someone take time out of their night to make a temperature departure from average assessment on the months of, say, April/May 2017 through the first week of January 2018 for a major city in the southeast such as Asheville Raleigh or Greenville? I'm willing to bet it defies the warming tend we've seen the past 10+ years

It is still not enough data to come to a sound conclusion. The Jan cold outbreak we just experienced was an extreme and will skew such a small data set.

It might would be better to do all the Januarys from the 1940s through 2018 to get more accurate numbers.

Reactions: Jimmy Hypocracy
It is still not enough data to come to a sound conclusion. The Jan cold outbreak we just experienced was an extreme and will skew such a small data set.

It might would be better to do all the Januarys from the 1940s through 2018 to get more accurate numbers.

Yeah. I was just thinking that we had a very pleasant summer in the south. I guess I was wondering how summer 2017 fall 2017and winter 2018 matches up against the rest since winter 2017 really skewed our numbers last year. Maybe when this winter is over we can do that and it will be more sensible

Yeah. I was just thinking that we had a very pleasant summer in the south. I guess I was wondering how summer 2017 fall 2017and winter 2018 matches up against the rest since winter 2017 really skewed our numbers last year. Maybe when this winter is over we can do that and it will be more sensible
only a few months fell slightly below normal in 2017 here in CHA... June & Aug were just barely below normal, less than a degree, while July was around +1. Sept was -.1,Both Oct and Nov around +2, Dec started off one week above normal, then the cool spells began. Overall 2017 was AB, but not as much as previous two years. CHA has not had a -2 degree BN month since Feb 2015, which was -8.1. (and I didn't mention climate change once... oops).

image.png image.png Also something to maybe keep an eye on. Models are keeping a LP left behind from the big Tennessee storm this weekend and CMC has moved it 250 miles back towards the east coast of Florida in 1 run

Ok GaWx I'll do this in two posts. I did all of the dates you requested, then I selected six more of my own. Yours first:

2/4/1967
2.4.67.gif

2/4/1973
2.4.73.gif

2/25/1980
2.25.80.gif

3/19/1983
3.19.83.gif

2/1/1984
2.1.84.gif

1/2/1988
1.2.88.gif

2/12/1989
2.12.89.gif

2/19/2015
2.19.2005.gif

Of these, I would say three could be classified as west-based neg. NAO's (2/4/73, 1/2/88, 2/19/2005) and 3/19/83 may have been a neg. NAO a day or two before but I didn't check.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post these! Of these, 2/4/1967, 2/25/1980, 3/19/1983, 2/1/1984, and 2/12/1989 look like pretty solid west based +NAOs based on the solid cold anomalies dominating Greenland and nearby. So, i don't think their high regularly calculated +NAOs are deceiving. Also, you accidentally posted 2/19/2005 instead of 2/19/2015. If you get a chance, please post 2/19/2015 and/or edit your post.

image.png At 180 it's actually just off the coast of Cuba. Let's move it further north in the gulf and we may be able to tap into it. Or not..we'll see

The 0Z GFS is awfully cold in the SE, especially TN and vicinity but cold throughout, for practically a full week centered on 1/16. It isn't nearly as cold for N FL/SE GA/Carolinas as 1/1-7 but that's because that was historic. That doesn't mean this isn't still repectable solid cold being shown for mid month. The progged mid-month cold keeps getting longer and stronger. If this trend continues and especially if we were to get still another cold shot late month like the Happy Hour was showing (0Z doesn't have that), we could end up with quite a cold January overall.

Last edited:
Goog gosh, fwiw, look at how much less warm is the 0Z GEFS vs prior runs for late month. It is warm for only 1/20-22 before turning colder once more.

Last edited:
Reactions: accu35 and setxwx
Euro was pretty cold too, at 12z... thinking Nina climo is in the back pocket for a moment, at least. Wavy Pacific but still cool climo. January is gonna end up pretty dramatically BN for the SE Us I think.