• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

If yo live between Lithia GA and RAH, outside the mountains it's sucked balls! How much has Birmingham had this year!
Yep. These areas are overdue for a big dog. Need to get models trending a little better. Hard to see a massive rainy cutter and say "at least I'm not in the sweet spot 7 days out" precip is nowhere to be found in these areas when temperatures are cooperating

Yep , another solid 4
Yep. These areas are overdue for a big dog. Need to get models trending a little better. Hard to see a massive rainy cutter and say "at least I'm not in the sweet spot 7 days out" precip is nowhere to be found in these areas when temperatures are cooperating
amother solid cold spell for 4-6 days next week , no moisture around.

The 12Z GFS reverses recent trends and is not as cold as recent GFS runs late next week because the cold ends earlier.
Kind of like the Christmas cold flip flops in the models. Don't think we knew till 3 days before if it was going to be 65 or 35 on Christmas Day

Here's some numbers to put in perspective how bad it's been at RDU. We are hurting here folks!

Since January 2011, RDU has only had 2 months where it recorded more than 3" of snow/sleet - Feb. 2015 (7.9"), Feb. 2014 (3.7").

From January 2004 through December 2010, RDU recorded 6 such months.
Oh believe me , I know how bad it's sucked . I've got 1000s of text messages from Shane reminding me lol.

My response was to the southeast as a whole . Hopefully y'all can have a nice hit this winter

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

What? Had a historic snow in early December for parts of the southeast followed by last week's historic so ter storm for the SE coast . Now looking at another winter storm for parts of the southeast Friday. And possible light snow for some next week. Yeah that really sucks....

Yep, location, location. Parts of metro ATL have already received a whopping 400% of entire seasonal norms. KCHS has received 1,000%!

Here's some numbers to put in perspective how bad it's been at RDU. We are hurting here folks!

Since January 2011, RDU has only had 2 months where it recorded more than 3" of snow/sleet - Feb. 2015 (7.9"), Feb. 2014 (3.7").

From January 2004 through December 2010, RDU recorded 6 such months.
Unlike. :(

I don't like our chances either.
There are a couple of lows that want to form off the coast through the period, but they look to be too far offshore. Not the same setup as what we just went through. Doesn't mean the models are right, I guess. But the pattern is not really a winter storm pattern.

It is a bit of a cold outlier at the moment but fwiw, the 12Z Euro has KATL's 1/17 low down to 15 and a high below 32 thanks to 850's down to -11 C.

What? Had a historic snow in early December for parts of the southeast followed by last week's historic so ter storm for the SE coast . Now looking at another winter storm for parts of the southeast Friday. And possible light snow for some next week. Yeah that really sucks....
Many haven't seen the first flake of snow this winter. The mid Dec event brought record totals for NW Atlanta, but those on the SE side and further out to Athens to Macon to Augusta haven't seen a single flake.

I was literally right on the snow/rain line in SE ATL. I drove 5 miles west and saw the biggest flakes I've seen in decades. Back home? Cold rain.

So yeah, the winter has sucked for a large number of us.

It is a bit of a cold outlier at the moment but fwiw, the 12Z Euro has KATL's 1/17 low down to 15 and a high below 32 thanks to 850's down to -11 C.
Euro has CMC support. So Euro , CMC vs GFS

12z Euro still brings light snow to many next week as the front passes through. Much better trough axis vs other guidance but the northern stream crushes the energy. Hopefully the nor t ern stream backs off as has been the case all winter .

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

We have a thread showing the Canadian is a horrible model for temperatures. Always busts too cold, even with snow around.

Back