• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

Yeah that should be good. But ATL Mets saying this won’t be a big deal. They also called for no
Accumulations in December and i damn sure near got a foot

If the 00z Nam has a shift towards more moisture tonight this will be a much bigger deal. Wonder if trends will continue?

If the 00z Nam has a shift towards more moisture tonight this will be a much bigger deal. Wonder if trends will continue?
Agreed... Precipitation still wants to dry up before it gets here in East GA (Athens). But Wedge looks like it will stay longer around here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oh wow. I
Yeah that should be good. But ATL Mets saying this won’t be a big deal. They also called for no
Accumulations in December and i damn sure near got a foot
was just about to throw this ice event out of the window and not worry about it, but looking at the latest trends, there is still potential. And you're right, they screwed up with the December storm when they said little or no accumulation, and ATL airport ended up with over two inches haha.

Well Chattanooga has clouded over already and temp is at 40. I would figure it will make it hard to lower in temperatures much from here.

You can clearly see the wedge and the winds out of the ENE in Atlanta is never good..This was at 420 pm.
airT.png

Well Chattanooga has clouded over already and temp is at 40. I would figure it will make it hard to lower in temperatures much from here.
Lookout and Signal are hovering around freezing... gonna be worse up there obviously.. Think only a minor event at best down in the valley. Dew point is 7 degrees, so even with overcast, temps gonna drop overnight..

Up to 45 and heavy clouds here in Etowah County...WAA will win out most likely. Slim to No chance (and slim has left the building) that the CAD can reach here and have enough effect to get us below freezing....all IMO

How are roads looking tomorrow evening for people traveling to the game ?

Just my two cents: There will be a lot of people commuting into Atlanta for the game tomorrow. The news media has talked about that since Georgia and Alabama both won on Monday, that there could be rush-hour conditions throughout the day Monday given the proximity of both schools to Atlanta (and both schools having massive fan bases located in the metro area). And Atlanta traffic can be awful on a good weather event with no major event occurring downtown.

So while the models show temps warming above freezing by early afternoon, we all know models often do not handle wedge situations well. Add in just how cold it's been throughout North Georgia the past week (I'm 50 miles N of downtown, yes, but we've been in the teens the past seven nights and haven't rose above 38 degrees), and it won't take much to make things messy.

The good news is the Department of Transportation already has started treating interstates through and around the city.

--30--

Waaaay to early to predict that yet.....
Yep. Haven't had a good minute to check the overall analysis of what's going on around yet, but later tonight I should be able to. From what I see, it's colder and the DP here is about 8. Going to be cold tonight, but how cold is the question.

Back