• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations January 3-6th. 2018 Winter Storm Observations

from yesterday, just cray cray:

26165425_1682530895141983_2199810590194515796_n.png

I can't for the life of me figure out how to use "Post-Image" to post pics. I even signed up for it. Oh well.

Summary of storm at my location: I had freezing rain for like 4 hours (that started 6:15 AM) and then hour+ of sleet. Then went back and forth between sleet and snow. Then finally all snow about 12:30. Total accumulation about 1.5" of sleet and snow plus close to 0.25" ZR. This was easily the biggest winter storm here since 12/1989. After it was finished, I took a very enjoyable walk and really soaked this in.

Click the "Upload Image" button. On the site, you should see a button that says " Choose Images". Do that, and then you will be brought to a page that has a list of links. Copy the one that says "Direct Link:" and insert it using the image button on post editor toolbar.

Side reminder, we are working on allowing user uploads, directly to the forum, in the very near future.

4 inches west of Sanford is a win. Must have been some training over that particular area for a while.

Yeah, seeing that narrow, but persistent banding led me to believe there would be some localized totals.

Randolph County 1/4 inch here and 1/2 to 1 inch in Randleman. Nada in Archdale which is NW tip of Randolph County line. Seagrove and over to SE side of County saw 2+. Good Luck Webber

Here's some of the totals I've been able to find thus far across central NC and SC border counties in areas where it has stopped snowing: As mentioned earlier please feel free to add what you saw in your location if you don't see it on here so I can make sure the reanalyzed & archived map of this event is more accurate! The NWS Local Storm Reports & NOWData are very skimpy at best, the last couple events I've relied very heavily on the information given by everyone here on this forum...
Aberdeen:4.5”
Apex: 1.3”
Bethel (NE Person): 1.5"
Carthage: 5.5”
Cary: 1.7"
Cary (West): 1.5"
Chalybeate Springs (NE Harnett): 1.3”
Chapel Hill: 2.5-3”
Chatam County (NW): Dusting
Conway, SC: 3”
Dillon, SC: 6"
Durham: 1.5"
Falls Lake: 0.4"
Fort Bragg: 1.5”
Greensboro: 0.3"
Hamlet: 3”
Haw River (E Alamance): 1"
Hillsborough: 1"
Holly Springs: 0.5"
Knightdale: 1”
Lake Wheeler: 0.5"
Laurinburg: 6”
Masonboro (south-central New Hanover): 2"
Maxton: 4.5”
Moncure: 4.0"
Morrisville: 1"
NWS ILM Office: 3.5"
NWS RAH Office: 0.8"
Pembroke: 3”
Pinehurst: 6”
Pinebluff (Moore): 4.5”
Pittsboro: 3"
Ramseur: 1"
Randleman: 0.5”
RDU: 0.5"
Rockingham: 4"
Roxboro: 1.5”
Sanford: 5.5"
Sanford (2): 5"
Sanford (West): 4"
Saxphaw (SE Alamance): 1"
Seagrove: 2"
Seven Lakes: 4”
Sophia: 0.3”
Surl (SE Person): 1"
Wilmington: 4.5"

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me figure out how to use "Post-Image" to post pics. I even signed up for it. Oh well.

Summary of storm at my location: I had freezing rain for like 4 hours (that started 6:15 AM) and then hour+ of sleet. Then went back and forth between sleet and snow. Then finally all snow about 12:30. Total accumulation about 1.5" of sleet and snow plus close to 0.25" ZR. This was easily the biggest winter storm here since 12/1989. After it was finished, I took a very enjoyable walk and really soaked this in as who knows how many years it will be before the next one like this.
Dang, Larry, that's just perfect for my needs! Freeze that down and it's sledding every night after midnight, lol. Ya'll need a big hill over there :) Happy for you, man! I got dibs on the next sleet storm though. I'm working on coaxing this next low into the gulf so I can get it Sun/Mon. :) T

Back