• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Jan 8-11 2024 System Severe

Backing of the LL winds to the SSE and potential meso/secondary low formation is concerning for the the areas E of 85 in the Carolinasand especially the US1 corridor and east View attachment 140198
Good idea to make a thread. This one could easily over produce severe. From me in FL to you up there in NC.

Think this one will be a sneaker type system as people tend to get tunnel vision in the winter only caring about snow. Models are hinting at a widespread high impact event for next week.
It sure snuck up on me. Although, I'll likely miss the high winds here thanks to CAD.

They should be. Kind of sad this thread is dead in lieu of chasing 786 hour model runs
Yeah, this looking serious if for nothing else but flooding and gradient winds. The GFS is still showing 50-60+ winds for many of us. Not sure about severe weather right now, at least in the CAD areas, but it could be a bigger threat farther east of course.

The non convective gradient winds could gust to 50+ still though..
That is what I am worried about over here in SC. I'm hoping the NAM is right with a weaker and farther north low.

Edit. I did not see that 993 secondary north of INT on the NAM. That would change things a lot if that formed.

I doubt it. It will take some severe downdrafts to bring those winds to the surface here IMO. Wedge rules.
The NAM and GFS both break the wedge for most of us though. They only keep it right up against the mountains. Hopefully they are breaking it too quickly, but I think they are right this time.

The NAM and GFS both break the wedge for most of us though. They only keep it right up against the mountains. Hopefully they are breaking it too quickly, but I think they are right this time.
Yeah, over your way does look windier than here.

Back