1. Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

Golf

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Snowflowxxl, Dec 12, 2016.

1. GaWx

GaWx Supporter

I'd love a story book scenario like that! I could see a movie in the future if that were to occur. Wouldn't it be awesome for the 2nd major of the year after Sergio finally won his 1st major ever on Seve's 60th birthday? Wow, what a year that would make for golf!

The GFS is back to showing precip. up to ~noon CDT. though light.

Also per the Milwaukee NWS:

"THURSDAY
    MOSTLY SUNNY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS IN THE
    MORNING, THEN SLIGHT CHANCE OF LIGHT SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN
    THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE MID 80S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION
    20 PERCENT."

metwannabe likes this.
  2. metwannabe

metwannabe Moderator Supporter

Well it's going to be close, appears though showers will probably move out in time unfortunately for Phil to make it but again if one big storm can dump some impressive rainfall Wed night or the models are off a few hours..... there's still a chance.

3. metwannabe

Disappointed.... Phil's chances look to be next to 0% at this time. I'd give it a 5% chance of some sort of weather delay and that's going against all model output and forecasted conditions. There's always next year.

4. metwannabe

Well no rain and it's official Phil has withdrawn from the US Open. Bummer

5. pcbjr

pcbjr Supporter

:(

but, send him an invitation to join us and we'll defer to Phil ... LOL

metwannabe likes this.
  6. GaWx

GaWx Supporter

Yes, bummer. But at least we both realized his chances weren't high though I was certainly not giving up. It was fun following Milwaukee forecasts closely for a few days. Maybe next year he'll be extra inspired.

Meanwhile, Rickie Fowler ties the US Open 1st round record low round of -7! Just 2 shots back and tied with 4 others is SAV native Brian Harman.

pcbjr and metwannabe like this.
  7. GaWx

GaWx Supporter

Georgian Brian Harman is leading the US Open at the end of round 3 at -12 thanks to a 67. His putting has been great. Three are at -11, including Justin Thomas who shot a record low round for any round of any US Open, a -9! Rickie Fowler is at -10.

8. metwannabe

No. 1, 2 and 3 missed cut, no Tiger and no Phil but its still shaping up to be an exciting finish at Erin Hills. Some amazing golf played yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pcbjr likes this.
  9. metwannabe

Congrats Brooks Koepka..... my middle name actually (parents said named for Orioles great, 3rd baseman Brooks Robinson), so it's good to see another Brooks with a championship!

pcbjr likes this.
  10. GaWx

GaWx Supporter

Spieth leads the British Open after 3 rounds. Kuchar is 3 back and Koepka is 6 back. The wx is expected to be windy tomorrow.

11. Storm5

Storm5 Staff Member Administrator

Can't stand spieth . Kuchar is fun to watch his swing sometimes looks like a hack yet he is so consistent. Rory played great this week after all the negative press he got going into the tournament. Phil should hang it up and move on to the champions tour

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

12. pcbjr

pcbjr Supporter

LOL

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  13. Matthew70

Matthew70

I like Spieth. Incredible golfer he is at such a young age. To save bogey & then almost ace next hole. Going -5 after that hole is almost impossible for any golfer to do. I like Kucher & feel bad for him but he got beat by a better golfer. As for Phil. He is my golfer. I would love for him to win the U.S Open then hang it up. For him to not go this year & instead go to his daughter graduation shows where his values are at. That is why he will always be my golfer!

metwannabe and GaWx like this.
  14. Storm5

Storm5 Staff Member Administrator

Yeah I wasn't saying Phil is a bad golfer or anything , it's just his time to go. WAY too much young talent for him to be competitive week in and week out.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

15. GaWx

GaWx Supporter

When he's been hot, Spieth has been absolutely amazing and about as good as anyone since Tiger and Nicklaus, especially with his long putts. I've been watching golf for decades and can't recall seeing a turnaround in a major final round quite like today's from that horrible 13th drive to saving bogey and then going -5 on the subsequent 4 holes, including that near ace on the very next hole. This performance reminds me of how he was during 2015, when virtually nothing went wrong.

I would have loved to have seen Kuchar, who is very likeable, an obvious fan favorite, and a GT grad finally win his first major. However, he doesn't seem to have the killer instinct of Spieth. Spieth is a very worthy champion.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    metwannabe likes this.
  16. metwannabe

Bite your tongue man, Phil played the round of his life last year at The Open, Stenson just played a hair better... everyone has a bad round or two. I think Phil still has a win in him before heading to the Champions tour. And congrats Jordan!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

17. GaWx

GaWx Supporter

24 year old Justin Thomas, a good friend of golfers Spieth and Fowler and top 15 golfer, wins the PGA Championship with a great back 9, including a very dramatic birdie on 10 after the birdie putt hung by the hole for 10 seconds or so before then falling in (shades of Tiger at
    16th at the Masters)! JT is the son of a current PGA course (not tour) professional, making his PGA win that much more special. Also, his caddy, another sports person named Jimmy Johnson, has been caddying for various golfers for over 20 years, including Nick Price and Steve Stricker.

So now the majors are done for 2017. I read that the PGA apparently will be moving to May in 2019. Opinions about this?
    I also read that the Players' Championship will be moving back to its original March timeframe. Opinions?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    metwannabe likes this.