• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 28-29th Possible Winter Storm

Per 12z Euro (not being talked about yet) these wind gusts would be problematic for areas that receive ice:

ecmwf_uv10g_se_25.png

Thanks for posting the wind map. Anytime there is an ice threat for the area north and northeast of Atlanta, I worry about winds.

Our trees have taken a beating the past four months, from Irma and the heavy wet snowfall. That amount of ice on those trees with any type of steady breeze concerns me greatly.

—30—

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can see the difference at 5H out west with energy 18Z GFS vs NAM
5570b0424d0f50f377de9297a7a6ffc4.jpg
627e5f78f5683125c8084ab5d758b456.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

One can see the wedge, really anchored down and the Wintry weather starting to break out per 18z Canadian (at the end of it's run):

I_nw_EST_2017122312_126.png

HSV looking at this time frame now: kept with chance POPs Friday/Friday night
where another wintry event is possible. With this being at the tail
end of the forecast package and with persistent model disagreement
will keep accumulations out but need to keep an eye on this event.

No worries everyone GFS still out to lunch... storm on GFS will show back up about 36 hours from onset of storm

12z Canadian Ensembles are still on board of a significant Winter storm in the Southeast: (some are much further along, and go through the 31st with timing differences):

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    940.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.gif
    2.gif
    966 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.gif
    3.gif
    939.7 KB · Views: 59
Big step back on the 18z GEFS by looking at the snow depth mean on pivotal. Someone else can fill us in on what’s going on when the individual panels come out.

Edit: my guess is more suppressed solutions like the op. The huge totals for the MA went poof! As Webber said previously, the ensembles will often mirror the op, because there are not enough perturbations programmed into the ensembles. I think.

At this point it’s good too see the GFs not showing a thing. Model is so bad you don’t want it showing anything until 2 dads out

Big step back on the 18z GEFS by looking at the snow depth mean on pivotal. Someone else can fill us in on what’s going on when the individual panels come out.

You're looking too far in advance. Their maps start to remove accumulation the further you get out from them storm. Here is what it looks like for this event: (these maps try to use an algorithm to remove ice/sleet) but it isn't fool proof.. so its still an icy mess per this:

Attachments

• snod.conus.png
    snod.conus.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 67
Damn lol you'd probably even have some light snow in the midlands at the onset if that verified

That's quite probable with the wedging/AG signature that strong, the SFC FZ line gets that close to the coast. OP EURO pulls KCHS down to 34 at 06z 12-29, before warming back up to 40 during the afternoon. We all know under steady precip and channeled NNE winds don't allow that even down in my world❄

Hope this is appropriate ... but here goes ...
1) It's 18Z
2) The Pac is so screwy models are just spitting out junk (GIGO)
3) Trends are the key (and IMHO, looking back over 5 days, trends are not supporting anything colossal - only seasonal)

Back