• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry December 28-29th Possible Winter Storm

The 10-12 inches of snow you got is already historic I’d say. I live more north then almost all on this board and it took me 10 years of living in Tennessee to see a storm dump 12 inches imby. Hopefully it’s not another Ten though.
Completely agreee. It was historic for this area. Most I’ve seen in GA since March 93. I think we got more snow this time but the wind and drifts in 93 were unreal. And a blizzard warning is pretty cool.

GA, but I really don't see this being a big deal for Bama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not for nearly 90% of the state usually just the two rows along the GA boarder (along the Apps and points E) that see anything from most of these CAD events I've seen rest of the state in the upper 40's and 50's while this was ongoing

Could easily be a big deal for the higher elevations of E AL

Depends on how deep the cold is. It could be a bigger deal for the valleys where he cold air can leach down. Personally if AL gets involved take your finger and trace from whereal the Tallapoosa comes into AL down to Lake Martin. That is your battle area.

Jeeze, the Euro control (which is lighter than most members in regards to precip totals) has the 32F line to the SC coast:

jeeze.png

From Robert Gamble at wxsouth:
After catching my breath, and regaining conciousness from viewing all the afternoon data and ensembles suite--I'd have to say this looks very ominous. Still 5 to 7 days out though, and subtle shifts could occur--but the least likely shift would be on the low level Arctic Cold temps. With precip falling, temps will be in the lower 20s throughout piedmont Carolinas, mid 20's Atlanta metro during heart of the event, even upper teens for temps in part of Virginia, eastern West Virginia--so snow ratios would be much higher than a typical 10 to 1 Ratio.
Imagine having 1" or more of Liquid Precip fall into air that is 27 degrees? I'm talking to you Georgia and South Carolina.

What should we be looking for model-wise that would indicate more IP than ZR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeeze, the Euro control (which is lighter than most members in regards to precip totals) has the 32F line to the SC coast:

jeeze.png

That freezing line into AL is very concerning, as is the lighter precip. Not only would the lighter precip not pull down the warmer temps above the surface, it also would limit latent heat release from freezing droplets. That also on top of higher ice accrual rates.

All this I'm taking about into AL where temps would be more borderline. Bottom line, nasty setup.

The 10-12 inches of snow you got is already historic I’d say. I live more north then almost all on this board and it took me 10 years of living in Tennessee to see a storm dump 12 inches imby. Hopefully it’s not another Ten though.
i got 13 inches of snow in february 2009 big bowling ball ull...

Depends on how deep the cold is. It could be a bigger deal for the valleys where he cold air can leach down. Personally if AL gets involved take your finger and trace from whereal the Tallapoosa comes into AL down to Lake Martin. That is your battle area.

Ok I tried to map this out with topography to show how it effects E central AL folks usually. Of course this is dependent oh HP location and strength but most CAD events for this area go like so

EDCD4323-_F77_F-40_DF-_A5_C9-83_BD3_AB81733.jpg

Great map.
The blue lines I'm tried to show where it drains and feathers out thru the App's... The brighter is higher elevation of course and usually have no issue icing up...i habe seem it go farther W to about the I-65 corridor but it rarely happens unless it is a massive MB high and placement is farther S

Ok I tried to map this out with topography to show how it effects E central AL folks usually. Of course this is dependent oh HP location and strength but most CAD events for this area go like so

EDCD4323-_F77_F-40_DF-_A5_C9-83_BD3_AB81733.jpg
Good map. The nose including Gadsden is fact. Probably parts of Scottsboro and Fort Payne included. Maybe Far East Blount.

Good map. The nose including Gadsden is fact. Probably parts of Scottsboro and Fort Payne included. Maybe Far East Blount.
Yes I was little of up on the northern part here is another map you can literally see the drain pattern in the area I outlined a moment ago. Most of the time it is hard to get it back any farther West say towards Blount Eastern Jefferson the cold dense air doesn't want to climb again unless strong HP
C44_C7_EEB-6_ED8-4821-_B5_E4-_AD01187_D9955.jpg

Back