• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc August Auguring

89831fb408a850d2258932c2d3df81ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Storm,
Does this give absolution? :confused:

sfc_count_sup814_temp.gif

I remember. B'ham was over 100 for many days in a row and most overall for a summer I believe. The air pollution was so bad that in the evenings the sky would have an red-ish orange-ish look to it. Our Church would even have special prayers on Wednesday and Sunday for rain.

One particular evening stands out because our daughter played soccer at the time. It was the first game of Fall League. Start time was 6:00 pm. The temperature on my car showed 104 when we arrived. There were mandatory time-outs every 10 minutes and an extended halftime. My parents who were in their late 60s at the time and never missed a game left before halftime. It was the most miserable stretch I remember in my lifetime.

A couple of notes on August 2007 from NWS-B'ham:

2007 will go down in the history books as one of the warmest years in Central Alabama since records began.

The most extreme heat affected Central Alabama during the month of August, when all of the reporting stations recorded at least 10 consecutive days of 100+.

Birmingham rounded out the reporting stations with 8 consecutive days of record high temperatures.

Hottest average August high temperature ever recorded. Birmingham averaged a high of 98.4

The ground was so parched it looked like cracked desert in N AL. That heat wave followed a hot summer as well as a late spring freeze (Easter weekend - April 7-8) which weakened or killed a lot of trees that had already bloomed and/or gotten leaves. We lost a few Japanese maples and Crepe Myrtles in the freeze, and an entire yard full of fescue sod during the drought that followed. It was a brutal year.

Edit: We no longer attempt to grow fescue in AL!!

10 years ago, in August 2007, we were in the middle of a terrible drought and heat wave. Anyone remember ?
I remember this well. I was working at the ups hub in Raleigh and it was hotter than 10 hells in that warehouse. The best part of that month was the line of storms that blew through from the remnants of Erin

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

When's that wet and below normal temps pattern starting? They never seem to be as long or wet as they are projected ! But these heat waves last 7+ days and creep up a few degrees as we go along. 90 turns to 93, we will have 6 days this week atleast with 92 + temps! I hope a La Niña cones and screws up winter too!

Gumdrops ! 96 on Sunday, 93 today through SAturday! 89 on Monday , highest percent chance of rain 30%
:(
Mid 90s back by Tuesday , drought intensifying , 1.87 total precip for August, from " the big wet" SMFH

Temp is in mid 80's here atm, but the HI is at 100 with DPS soaring once again. Its nasty outside no way to slice it. Be so glad when this crap is over with for good.

Back