• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry April 7 - 8th Mixed Bag Event

Would like to see some heavier precipitation here to bring forth the changeover, we have low-mid level cold air advection, the sun is not a concern, and we have some cold air in place so we could melt to our heart's desires and not have to worry about a stupid warm nose coming back to bite us thereafter like the last storm in late March

This is also the same guy that was getting legitimately excited about super cold rain in his backyard in Savannah akin to 1915 and where it almost never snows and likewise it never snows here in April for the most part. I think we are allowed to have our fun

Yes, I was getting off the charts excited about that GFS modeled super cold rain for here. If I were getting it today, I'd be loving it! But I just couldn't resist having fun after hearing complaints of some in your area that it is time to move past winter & that some of you were acting like it was a bad thing that wintry was still showing up on models. And then Brick hates plain rain just about the most of any wx & 99% of this is plain rain.

Yes, I was getting off the charts excited about that GFS modeled super cold rain for here. If I were getting it today, I'd be loving it! But I just couldn't resist having fun after hearing complaints of some in your area that it is time to move past winter & that some of you were acting like it was a bad thing that wintry was still showing up on models. And then Brick hates plain rain just about the most of any wx & 99% of this is plain rain.

You actually got legitimate snow this year, I was extremely impressed!!! I think the overall mindset behind this was far enough out we were all hoping it would warm up and we'd go into spring, but when it was very obvious that we would become cold again into the 30s, then why not try to give us token flakes or something? Might as well, you get to a point where 37F and cold rain vs rain/snow just a few degrees colder doesn't seem all that different aside from the aesthetic nature of the precipitation.

I'm the first one to complain. Its april 7th we shouldn't be thinking about snow. We should be thinking about 70s and planting flowers

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

UM.... Back to "Mixed-bag-event"
Nothing happening here. Back to rain, windy and 34.

As nice as this winter was I keep finding myself reverting back to 1935-36 in terms of a benchmark winter in the last century and a half or so. I'll eventually show you guys a detailed snow/sleet accumulation map because the totals statewide over NC were mind boggling. Literally nobody was spared and every station besides one at the southernmost tip of NC south of Wilmington and near Hatteras was in double figures for snowfall. Not only was there a lot of snow, we were cold every single month of the winter wall-to-wall December-February and it ended up being the 3rd coldest winter on record here in NC for DJF. We had every kind of snowfall distribution known to man so everyone was likely genuinely happy at some point and some way, shape, or form and this was also largely true outside of NC for virtually the entire board, at least one sizable winter storm (or more) showed up on your doorstep in 1935-36. It snowed in some parts of central NC in every single month from November to April! Furthermore, we had both a white Christmas and a white New Years here, what more could a snow weenie possibly ask for and how could you top a winter like that?

The snowfall amounts in NC put even great winters like 1898-99 to shame. Just imagine these areas in the pink over east-central NC w/ 2+ feet of snow (which is very large in its own right) and put that over the entire state and you get an idea of what the winter of 1935-36 did to us.
Winter of 1898-99 NC Snowmap.png

The CC line is just starting to cross into the northwestern sections of Wake Co, probably won't be long before there are reports of at least rain/sleet or sleet/snow.

Seeing mping reports of rain/snow and rain/sleet now in/around Moorisville and those just N of I-540 and near Falls Lake. The transition is coming.

Turning the vehicles white, dang!
be59097fe98b0227eabddfb299762ca8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As nice as this winter was I keep finding myself reverting back to 1935-36 in terms of a benchmark winter in the last century and a half or so.

In terms of a combo of wintry precip, consistent cold, AND wetness, 1935-6 would probably be the tops for ATL. At SAV, however, I couldn't find any wintry though there were several quite cold rains/very close calls. Also, it was near average on rainfall rather than wet and it was cool but not cold.

All kidding aside, congrats, Raleigh area, for a very nice achievement! You did it/are doing it at least in parts of the area.

Back