• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I created a thread for the general event for the rest of the month. Probably going to be crazy amounts anyway when the tropical low comes up.
And I posted a very big and most appreciated "thank you" with a smile in the thread ... :D
I'll get it into Wiki after supper ... :rolleyes:

Such a crazy weather pattern. Minneapolis is looking at 6+ days of 90 degree heat starting Thurs. Quite a change from one of the coldest and snowiest Aprils on record.

I don't remember posting this at SouthernWx (I know I did elsewhere), but I apologize if I did:

Has anyone wondered why out in the open oceans it is very rare to get much above 30C? I know when I've looked at sectors that 31C is about the warmest I've seen with that often in the W Car/GOM/Gulf Stream as well as off the MX coast in the Epac as well as perhaps parts of the W Pac. The answer is that 28C is when deep tropical convection becomes induced. The convection means increased clouds, which reduces insolation, and also cooling downdrafts/drier air. So, it is a self regulating mechanism that usually stops open ocean SST rises near 30-31C. It is like a thermostat:

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1029/1999GL900197

I created a thread for the general event for the rest of the month. Probably going to be crazy amounts anyway when the tropical low comes up.

Good idea. It is probably not a bad thing to have a separate thread for general IMBY obs (similar to individual major storm
related obs) vs the monthly pattern discussion. Otherwise, the monthly thread could get really bulky. And that way people looking for more general pattern related stuff would have more interest in reading the monthly threads.

Last edited:
Caps in the Stanley Cup Final, whew!!

Could be a great series, definitely all kinds of story lines for both teams.

Im kind of skeptical about FFC calling for up to 8" of rain in Atlanta through tomorrow night. There's not much on radar now and only a 50% chance of rain tomorrow.

Leaving next Friday for a week long Disney vacation . We went two years when our son was two but we are always looking for new ideas

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Leaving next Friday for a week long Disney vacation . We went two years when our son was two but we are always looking for new ideas

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
Dont get too drunk. I hear you can buy alcohol at Disney now.

If Houston pulls off this game, it's possible things are different this time. Not going to jinx it, just saying it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back