• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know how much snow Tiftion, GA got from that snow South GA had? I'm gonna be down their going to college at ABAC for possibly the nxt 4 year and I want some hope that I'm gonna see snow.

If it's happened it's not impossible but I wouldn't be counting on seeing snow at all. Where we both live it can be multiple years between measurable snowfall and Tifton is south of both of us (surprisingly though...it's just been 2 years so far in my case with still time this year and would be 0 if I was at freezing in January as I caught a surprise dusting in January 2016).

I'm actually not sure that Tifton saw much snow at all from that, they may have been too far west on what I saw. I'm trying to find it but I'm coming up empty.

Hah that reminds me though, back when I was 17/going on 18 I chose to go up to NW GA for college with part of the reason being I wanted to see snow. I ended up leaving and am not finished (for a number of reasons and I likely will be for now this spring) but I don't regret doing it. Learned a lot more about myself and got a taste of living mostly alone, even if I still had a lot of family support.

If it's happened it's not impossible but I wouldn't be counting on seeing snow at all. Where we both live it can be multiple years between measurable snowfall and Tifton is south of both of us (surprisingly though...it's just been 2 years so far in my case with still time this year and would be 0 if I was at freezing in January as I caught a surprise dusting in January 2016).

I'm actually not sure that Tifton saw much snow at all from that, they may have been too far west on what I saw. I'm trying to find it but I'm coming up empty.

Hah that reminds me though, back when I was 17/going on 18 I chose to go up to NW GA for college with part of the reason being I wanted to see snow. I ended up leaving and am not finished (for a number of reasons and I likely will be for now this spring) but I don't regret doing it. Learned a lot more about myself and got a taste of living mostly alone, even if I still had a lot of family support.
I think we went about 3 years up until January when we got an inch. It was kinda crazy cause I'd told my dad we were gonna see an inch and up until the last 30 mins we had 3/4 of an inch and he kept telling me I don't think we're gonna get an inch out of this then in the last 30 mins it dropped a quarter of an inch and we got to an inch. So I was just like told ya daddy (he got to see '73 so an inch of snow is nothing to him lol).

I almost went to Emmanuel in Toccoa for the snow up until I started to realize I was gonna know absolutely no one. That didn't sit yo comfortable with me so I got a few of my close friends going to ABAC and it's got my degree field so I ditched the snow stupidly.

I think we went about 3 years up until January when we got an inch. It was kinda crazy cause I'd told my dad we were gonna see an inch and up until the last 30 mins we had 3/4 of an inch and he kept telling me I don't think we're gonna get an inch out of this then in the last 30 mins it dropped a quarter of an inch and we got to an inch. So I was just like told ya daddy (he got to see '73 so an inch of snow is nothing to him lol).

I almost went to Emmanuel in Toccoa for the snow up until I started to realize I was gonna know absolutely no one. That didn't sit yo comfortable with me so I got a few of my close friends going to ABAC and it's got my degree field so I ditched the snow stupidly.

Where I went I didn't know anybody from high school but I didn't really care for a few reasons. I now know I shouldn't have left but it has less to do with that and more with me not really being ready to go to a university. I just don't really feel like I was very focused. I enjoyed being away despite my needing to start over (it also helps that I did have family nearby and I spent a lot of weekends with them or out in the country...yeah kind of boring but I liked my hour or so of solitude even if it freaked out my family).

My suggestion to incoming college students would be if you're not fully sure is to do general ed classes or go to tech/community college first...my cousin is 19 and I think that's what he did at a state school...but it seems like you have a good idea of what to do.

You notice Tim Miller posting this morning saying "Winter is not over yet" and proceeds to post a image of it snowing at hour 312 on the GFS saying "This is only two weeks away but it's something to watch".... He's been posting things like that on Facebook and Twitter. I guess the Mets around the area are getting so desperate for snow that they are posting what little bit of fantasy runs there is out there on social media....

Likely posted for ratings. More and more people I speak with are switching over toe WLTX these days.

Where I went I didn't know anybody from high school but I didn't really care for a few reasons. I now know I shouldn't have left but it has less to do with that and more with me not really being ready to go to a university. I just don't really feel like I was very focused. I enjoyed being away despite my needing to start over (it also helps that I did have family nearby and I spent a lot of weekends with them or out in the country...yeah kind of boring but I liked my hour or so of solitude even if it freaked out my family).

My suggestion to incoming college students would be if you're not fully sure is to do general ed classes or go to tech/community college first...my cousin is 19 and I think that's what he did at a state school...but it seems like you have a good idea of what to do.
I've got family 30 mins down the road so if I ever need anything all I have to do is call them which is really gonna help a lot. I hope I get focused when I get there more than I've been in high school. I just kinda go to class every day trying to get through so I could finally be done. I just really haven't studied like I need to which I hope I can change when i get to college otherwise it'll be a very short trip.

That's what a lot of people say to do so you've got more time to figure out what your gonna do and to get settled into a college atmosphere. I'm gonna be going to ABAC for Agribusiness and maybe even a double major in Business. Which I think because of me going to college and knowing I'm trying to get to the point of where I can do something I love to do is really gonna push me to be better focused and study more than I have been in high school.

Does 33 degree rain have a better ratio than warm rain? Really hoping we can put a dent in this drought tomorrow once this gully washer pushes through..

Does 33 degree rain have a better ratio than warm rain? Really hoping we can put a dent in this drought tomorrow once this gully washer pushes through..

You know, outside the trollish sound, that is a good idea to look into. Does colder rain soak in to warmer & drier soil differently, allowing less run off/waste?

Good thinking, even by accident! Hopefully someone knows the answer to this.

I'd be more interested in the Super Bowl if it was outdoors with the forecast temperature near zero :p

Coldest Super Bowl ever... wind chills -20 to -30 for the morning tailgaters :eek:

I'd be more interested in the Super Bowl if it was outdoors with the forecast temperature near zero :p

Coldest Super Bowl ever... wind chills -20 to -30 for the morning tailgaters :eek:
For security reasons they wont be allowed to tailgate near the stadium. They will have to tailgate at their hotels.

Well damn it. I was making sure the temps were good outside and ended up with a crashed train near by.

great.. not only is Winter a train wreck, but an actual train has solidified it.

You know, outside the trollish sound, that is a good idea to look into. Does colder rain soak in to warmer & drier soil differently, allowing less run off/waste?

Good thinking, even by accident! Hopefully someone knows the answer to this.

it was 32 and then up to 33 while receiving 1.1 inches of rain, and from looking at the fields you would think we had 3 inches of rain as its just sitting on top due to the ground being frozen or close to it. so i'm gonna give this a not applicable.

it was 32 and then up to 33 while receiving 1.1 inches of rain, and from looking at the fields you would think we had 3 inches of rain as its just sitting on top due to the ground being frozen or close to it. so i'm gonna give this a not applicable.
It sounds like what happened then is happening now here. The rain ins't going into the ground easily.

Cold "top layer" soils tend to be "denser" . At least from what I ve seen with perc test results. (Winter vs Summer). I ve seen more pasture "flooding" from last two rain events near here

Light morning glaze. Hate to waste a big precip producing system in the heart of winter, but that's what just happened

On to the next one

It looks like we are headed towards an El Niño winter for 2018/2019. I bet it’ll be historic for the SE in some way, shape, or form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I swear the south gets way more precip than the midwest does. I"ve been here since December and haven't seen a decent rain event yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back