• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A/C is a start ... :cool:
... and here's the 2nd part of the equation (pretty much around 3:00PM or so most days) ...

Screen_Shot_2017-07-11_at_4.02.28_PM.png

Grew up in S FL, no ac. Not sure how we survived but obviously we did. No ac in school either.
Grew up in NE FL (Jax area); if you're familiar, it's a lot of swamp and lakes and creeks and branches. Dating myself a bit, but at 10 years old we first got AC in 1966 (3 window units). I could not sleep for a month because with the windows closed the soothing sounds of bullfrogs croaking and alligator mating calls were totally cut out, and there was no whir of a big oscillating room fan to drift off to ... and I was freezing with temps at 70º and the humidity gone from the nighttime bedroom. But then, alas, life quickly became much better! :p

Last edited:
Since we are dating ourselves, growing up in the 60s and 70s, my parents had really good friends that had a cabin on Sunnyside Beach in Panama City. We would go two or three times a year and stay from 5 days to as much as three weeks. The cabin was block with a big screened porch, one large kitchen and den combined, with two bedrooms and one bath. There was no A/C, just box fans and a large fan in one room that took air out of the cabin. Somehow the combination of the air circulation and the above mentioned sounds of the outdoors made for very comfortable and sound sleeping. Of course, being a kid and spending almost all of the daylight hours on the beach and in the gulf, we probably could have slept on the concrete driveway. Those were some "good ole days" for sure. Still love that part of PCB and go every year. Just stay in a larger place with full A/C and directly on the beach. Hope to call it home in a few years.

Since we are dating ourselves, growing up in the 60s and 70s, my parents had really good friends that had a cabin on Sunnyside Beach in Panama City. We would go two or three times a year and stay from 5 days to as much as three weeks. The cabin was block with a big screened porch, one large kitchen and den combined, with two bedrooms and one bath. There was no A/C, just box fans and a large fan in one room that took air out of the cabin. Somehow the combination of the air circulation and the above mentioned sounds of the outdoors made for very comfortable and sound sleeping. Of course, being a kid and spending almost all of the daylight hours on the beach and in the gulf, we probably could have slept on the concrete driveway. Those were some "good ole days" for sure. Still love that part of PCB and go every year. Just stay in a larger place with full A/C and directly on the beach. Hope to call it home in a few years.
Do you happen to remember the Starliner wooden roller coaster at the old Miracle Strip Amusement Park? And the Haunted House! And there was that strange Volcano attraction where they always played "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" theme song. Good times!

Absolutely, all of the above. I also have scars from the original yellow giant slide with about 8 or 10 "bumps" that could get you airborne. If you came off the mat you were losing some skin. Also put many dimes in the pinball machines at the original Fun Land Arcade. Long before that part of PCB was mostly high-rise condos.

Absolutely, all of the above. I also have scars from the original yellow giant slide with about 8 or 10 "bumps" that could get you airborne. If you came off the mat you were losing some skin. Also put many dimes in the pinball machines at the original Fun Land Arcade. Long before that part of PCB was mostly high-rise condos.
Fun Land Arcade - we may have seen each other there! :)

Fun Land Arcade - we may have seen each other there! :)
May have. I was there a lot in the 70s especially. By the way, my Daughter, Son-in-Law and Granddaughter (love of my life and avatar) live in Madison. Both work at Hudson Alpha. Daughter a Certified Genetic Counselor and SiL a Neuro PHD. We love coming up and really enjoy the Madison Huntsville area. May be our home someday if PCB doesn't work out.

My computer is so lovely. :( It just starts randomly scrolling for no reason at all at times. No, it's not the scroll wheel, it's just it randomly decides with two snaps of the finger, oh, let's scroll!
It's not a problem on this website, just wanted to talk about it again.

My computer is so lovely. :( It just starts randomly scrolling for no reason at all at times. No, it's not the scroll wheel, it's just it randomly decides with two snaps of the finger, oh, let's scroll!
It's not a problem on this website, just wanted to talk about it again.
Buy a Mac ... :cool:

Just finished having a yard sale . Holy hell I forgot how miserable they are . Had a guy show up at 5:45 this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back