• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there is either another cold spell or severe wx nearby, I probably won't be posting as much as I recently have in the main wx threads until we get well into summer. Even if that's the case, I may be active at times in the grand solar minimum thread as the sun has really quieted down. Today has a good chance of making it 12 days in a row of spotlessness! That's quite impressive when one considers that the next cycle minimum is likely 3-4 years away!

I would "like" the post but you might misconstrue!

I have my summer post (until 'Cane season) down to one line : Gainesville 94º/76º, RH 75%; thunderstorms looming with one just passing .... :eek:

Unless there is either another cold spell or severe wx nearby, I probably won't be posting as much as I recently have in the main wx threads until we get well into summer. Even if that's the case, I may be active at times in the grand solar minimum thread as the sun has really quieted down. Today has a good chance of making it 12 days in a row of spotlessness! That's quite impressive when one considers that the next cycle minimum is likely 3-4 years away!
Yeah, the time between winter and something interesting is usually dull this time of year. Nothing really interesting to talk about weather wise.

44º progged here tonight - damn - there were long stretches this winter in December, January and February that would lave been an unexpected surprise ... go figure ... :confused:

I got so used to the cold returning so quickly that 68 almost felt hot. 84 in a short time period is almost going to feel like a midsummer day.

For banter, at lunchtime:
When I walked by the window that looks out the backyard, my dad said "You forget to wave at our friend".
Me: Wait, huh?
Dad: You know who.
Me: I walk back to look out the window, sure enough, the young cat that we call Halloween was there, sitting on those bricks that protrude out from the window.

That young cat likes to do that, and likes to stand up, looking like she's trying to figure out how to get in the house.

Yeah, the time between winter and something interesting is usually dull this time of year. Nothing really interesting to talk about weather wise.

Actually, in addition to the solar minimum thread, I'll likely be posting in the ENSO thread more as we go through the spring to summer period since that's when we get a much better idea of next winter's ENSO. I'm currently quite excited about the good chance per models for El Niño, which when following a weak Niña has yielded good to really good SE winters (cold and wintry) in almost all cases going back to the late 1800s! The main exception is 1951-2, which was warm but still produced a major winter storm for many. It wouldn't at all surprise me if a year from now we're reflecting on the great winter of 2017-8, but as always, we'll see. Let's first get that all important Nino!

Actually, in addition to the solar minimum thread, I'll likely be posting in the ENSO thread more as we go through the spring to summer period since that's when we get a much better idea of next winter's ENSO. I'm currently quite excited about the good chance per models for El Niño, which when following a weak Niña has yielded good to really good SE winters (cold and wintry) in almost all cases going back to the late 1800s! The main exception is 1951-2, which was warm but still produced a major winter storm for many. It wouldn't at all surprise me if a year from now we're reflecting on the great winter of 2017-8, but as always, we'll see. Let's first get that all important Nino!

Yeah, there were a few storms in February-March 1952 in NC, the storm in late February certainly shares a lot of similarities w/ March 2009...
February 26-27 1952 NC Snowmap.png
March 15-16 1952 NC Snowmap.png

I just did a major update regarding the historic solar minimum that is expected within a few years here:

http://southernwx.com/community/threads/historic-solar-cycle-minimum-coming.105/#post-25192

If you're a grand solar min weenie, you're going to love this. In summary, I'm as pumped as I've ever been about the upcoming min rivaling the deepest min of the Dalton grand min era of the early 1800s! The extra exciting thing about this is that much of the media still has no clue about this.

Since this is partly the vent thread - pardon the ALL CAPS but I am screaming - I HATE THE LATTER HALF OF MARCH. I HATE OAK WORMS. I HATE OAK POLLEN. I HATE DRY. I HATE WARM TO HOT. I HATE SUNBURN. I HATE THE WINTER WE JUST HAD ...

OK - said it - now ban me :p

Since this is partly the vent thread - pardon the ALL CAPS but I am screaming - I HATE THE LATTER HALF OF MARCH. I HATE OAK WORMS. I HATE OAK POLLEN. I HATE DRY. I HATE WARM TO HOT. I HATE SUNBURN. I HATE THE WINTER WE JUST HAD ...

LOL!

Let me pick up, I Hate the GFS that sucked all winter, I Hate trolls that never signed up to begin with, I hate Euro that failed as king, I Hate the CMC that showed everything, this winter sucked and so did fall, ready for severe weather season, that should be fun.

I'll add I hate the STJ and weak ridging and blocking. Learned a lot this winter but I have to say the Alaska/Maine and SE weather correlation by Wilkes was the most entertaining attempt at knowledge dropping. Please to enjoy again:
Think of it like a hot bathtub. The water cools down over time as we slosh around in it before it goes down the drain and enters the underground pipes (Spring). Patience is virtue as it travels down the pipes. You can't fasten the process by sloshing the bathtub more you will just spray water on the floor (Rain).

OK o_O

Screen_Shot_2017_03_19_at_3_28_23_PM.png

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back