• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winters Last Stand / March 11th-13th Winter Storm

Glad to see that a lot of y'all got to see some good snow from this system despite the fact the wave did look a little ugly at times. I swear that if this had been two days longer out, this would have made a serious run at ending as a mix here. But as it is, we're in the upper 30's I believe and the rain is about to wrap up.

It might get warmer west of me, but I've seen many winter like days like this and I bet we end up topping out at 45 (knowing that its close to mid March). The dreary, CAD days usually don't budge much.

Eric and I originally thought CAE was going to be too warm and while it wasn't impossible, it was highly unlikely. But as the wave weakened and the dominant storm that is about to take off took over, it threw a slight wrench into our idea. :|

One thing, is the "always NW trend" seems like it did not happen here. Precipitation was able to creep northward though! Looks like Rock Hill ended up with the nicer event, not sure what happened in GSP.

SnowAmt_SFC_ajc.png
How things turned out around here.

Wow, I was wrong on my guess. Props to the CAD and cold front. The temp has stuck at 41 here and the high was 43. Typical dreary mid winter day...close to mid March.

Wow, I was wrong on my guess. Props to the CAD and cold front. The temp has stuck at 41 here and the high was 43. Typical dreary mid winter day...close to mid March.
Grab what you can while you can - November, December, January and February largely ripped you (and all of us) off! ;)

Looks like that's not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that didn't happen really. Sun is just now breaking out here and I am sitting at 44.2 which is the high for the day. Made it down to 33.7 earlier this morning as the last batch of rain pushed through. Never saw anything besides rain. Wasn't expect to either so no sleep lost here. lol. Looks like a chilly week setting up with a rainy start.

NWS has lows in the lower 20s here by Wednesday night....so much for the plants and some of the trees that have popped blooms.

Eric and I originally thought CAE was going to be too warm and while it wasn't impossible, it was highly unlikely. But as the wave weakened and the dominant storm that is about to take off took over, it threw a slight wrench into our idea. :|

One thing, is the "always NW trend" seems like it did not happen here. Precipitation was able to creep northward though! Looks like Rock Hill ended up with the nicer event, not sure what happened in GSP.
Cluster F**k , South of 85, as usual! Never got below 35, lost 3/4 of QPF to rain, precip arrived about 6-8 hrs early, yadda yadda

If the GFS says yes and EURO no, don't bother. If the GFS says no and the Euro yes, believe it lol.
NAM is my new hero! Nailed this storm, 2-3 days out, precip and temps, 850s, IMO

NAM is my new hero! Nailed this storm, 2-3 days out, precip and temps, 850s, IMO

Have to be careful with the NAM though because in this back yard it was trying to spit out 3 inches of actual accumulation + on the cobb output along with a few nutty snow accumulation maps. It backed off as we approached the actual event though.

The precip does seem to have been around this area to possibly allow something like 3 inches or so, but the temps were just not there to allow anything to do much. The only reason a dusting happened around here is because the rates were quite heavy at times. We sat around 33-34F the whole time, when the rates picked up we'd sit around 31-32F.

I think within the day 3-4, Euro did quite well with the storm here.

I've seen some surprise winter storms...should maybe say surprise in how it played out, but none in my hometown. Snow was in the forecast but in all 3 cases, the total busted low. I had been saying I saw two surprises, but it was actually three considering part one in February 2014.

Christmas 2010: This is a case in which there isn't really any shame in missing. The possibility of a phase or no phase was going to change the potential total. I was in LaFayette, GA with my family, and the day before the storm, 1 inch of snow was forecast. Turns out the phase actually happened and we saw **1 inch of snow** by about 9 in the morning. Ended with 4 inches of snow.
1-28-14: Due to how dry and cold it was, I figured that even in a realistic case scenario in NW GA, it'd take a while for the atmosphere to moisturize enough and maybe once it did, I'd be able to see a dusting....nah. It started snowing earlier than I thought it would, and once it ended I had about 3-4 inches of pure powder due to higher than normal ratios.
2-11-14: As I remember, a rain/snow mix was predicted for part 1 with this winter storm. I switched to snow early in the morning and stayed snow for pretty much the rest of part 1. I think I got about 4 inches of snow from part 1. Ironically, part 1 busted low while part 2 busted high. FFC was throwing around some big snow totals (past significant for the south) as predictions for part 2 in north Georgia. I got much more freezing rain than I bargained for though with part 2 (did end with about 4-5" of snow).

Again, all three of these weren't in Augusta. 2011 and 2014 really feel like they kind of were flashback winters to the 70s-80s.

Back