• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winters Last Stand / March 11th-13th Winter Storm

Some fat flakes coming down at a steady or moderate rate for the past 25 minutes. This is why I never give up on winter until around mid-March. I know it's not often, but March can be full of tricks, and we can see snow during this particular month.

Yeah this is why I don't give up on winter till late March. I've seen a couple of six inch snowstorms on the first or second day of spring, and one ten inch snowstorm on March 25th. And that was in Greenwood, SC.

Rock hill , SC
6baddb50b5914ad5e2a0b4f7a0086180.jpg
ae108bf7f8239d954197d57b49fe3e50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cedar trees are a nice touch.

Hope this lays to rest the soil temp argument! I'd call out the met who called the storm off completely south of the NC/Va border 5 days in advance - and argued we'd need 2-3"/hr rates to overcome soil temps, but I'm a professional and it would literally do nothing, haha. Soil temps are always, always overplayed.

Hope this lays to rest the soil temp argument! I'd call out the met who called the storm off completely south of the NC/Va border 5 days in advance - and argued we'd need 2-3"/hr rates to overcome soil temps, but I'm a professional and it would literally do nothing, haha. Soil temps are always, always overplayed.

It can certainly accumulate with rates like this but the warm ground has definitely hurt accumulations here. I've had light-moderate snow here in Fayetteville for 4 hours and only picked up a dusting thus far.

That same met got 1-3 inches in their viewing area

That same met got 1-3 inches in their viewing area
I wonder who it could be. Oh wait that's my viewing area. I may not post that often but I do follow things from a distance. I ended up with almost 2 inches for the record.

Reactions: SD
Just getting ready to start wrapping up here. Ended up with a dusting due to sketchy 850s around Lake Murray (moving back and forth with the winds/water), lighter pockets, heavier pockets. Started around 7:45 AM (the changeover) and looks like 11:30 AM or so will be the end. Ended with a dusting on the grass/cars.

If the final band that just rolled through here comes across CAE proper, I think they'll end up with half an inch or so aside from the roads.

All in all, it was definitely a win considering how far North the initial snow maps were. We ended up with an ugly wave, but it's likely what let the Midlands see snowfall. 17 time since 1888 in March.

How is it that areas in SC further south than me got snow and i didnt ? Was it due to the wedge not being strong enough to make it this far west ? It snowed west, north, east, and southeast of here.

39 in ATL right now. Forecast high of 54? I'm not sure we get out of the mid 40's.

How is it that areas in SC further south than me got snow and i didnt ? Was it due to the wedge not being strong enough to make it this far west ? It snowed west, north, east, and southeast of here.

There was a weak CAD in place over the Carolinas and extreme northeast Georgia and the better diurnal timing and more intense/better coverage of precipitation allowed for more appreciable dynamic cooling to bring temperatures near-below the threshold to produce wet snow.

Tapering off here, ended up w/ at most a dusting in spots on the ground w/ about 0.4-0.5" on cooler, elevated surface, about what I expected out of this, had we been in January/February, could imagine we would have 2" or so, oh well. Most of the snow on the ground here has already melted and this is liable to be just a distant memory in a few hours as temps soar into the 40s later today

I wonder who it could be. Oh wait that's my viewing area. I may not post that often but I do follow things from a distance. I ended up with almost 2 inches for the record.

Are you saying you are a met who serves the CLT area? Or are you saying you live in the CLT area and follow the weather?

Back