• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winters Last Stand / March 11th-13th Winter Storm

What do the 925's really mean? I thought 850 was what we needed for snow.
If the 850's are above freezing and everything below 925 is below freezing, you will generally get sleet. That's just a simple explanation and there are various moving parts to that so it's not always the case.

I thought that model output didn't include fropa anymore?

It's simulated composite radar reflectivity, which doesn't account for evaporating/sublimating precip above the ground. It looks like mostly virga NE of RDU on the HRRR, although there could be a few flakes reaching the ground esp further south towards HWY 64

noaad1.gif

I wish this heavy snow area would extend down towards Atlanta.

Decided to take the kids to Chattanooga and glad I did. We got here around 5pm and it was sleeting. It's now all snow! :D

23z HRRR really toning down the wintry precip over extreme upstate SC and Charlotte, improved/virtually the same from Fayetteville and points south & east over NC.
output_FU2oRM.gif

Lol, I have a grill going outside, about to throw some steaks on. That's how serious I take this simulated failure radar for the CAE area. It's 51 here. 850s far away.

Webb - Gotta plan for you and me since this whole thing sucks - Let's both go outside, take a deep drink of fresh air (and pollen here :eek:), and then regroup - enough computer!!! (for a short while anyways) ;) Best! Phil

I just took a relaxing 4.2 mile walk in the pleasantly cool and dry Canadian air, which is the start of a winterlike 7 days. Very refreshing to say the least and looking forward to the coming freeze(s).

Back