• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Raise your hand if you have more snow on the ground vs Boston, New York and Chicago combined
f34ab756973ce6e1f5097edd7909523c.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

I went out about half an hour ago to measure the final snowfall total and I got around 5 inches. I would imagine if we had subfreezing temps like we did in January 2014, those totals probably would be closer in the 8-10 inch range since we wouldn't of had as much melting. Nonetheless it's a gorgeous winter wonderland and turned out to be a better snowstorm than I anticipated.

EDIT: It's still snowing even though the main concentration of precip is moving E of us right now.

Riding this straight to the cliff.... it's not its long range so I'm actually fairly hopeful especially seeing what's happening out west now. Also this could actually have higher rates closer to 10:1 so who knows maybe a good dusting
703fc9b54a61f10b677bc3c7c5f25b96.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well... wow.

I did not expect much from this storm when I heard about it earlier this week. I thought it would be fun to wake up to a dusting on Saturday.

Currently at 9" on my board. Some of what fell in the first couple of hours yesterday morning immediately melted, and then we lost some that melted yesterday afternoon during a lull, but I believe easily close to 12" fell here. It is still lightly snowing, although radar indicates this is the last gasp of moisture.

Aside from a few lulls where it backed off to mist/sleet, it has been snowing (from tiny spit to huge flakes and everything in between) at my house for 26.5 hours now. In Georgia...

The near complete lack of wind and somewhat marginal temps yesterday - clumps have melted and fallen off trees around here, which they would not if it was 10 degrees colder - has helped mitigate the power outages I think.

Hope everyone is having fun with this unexpected holiday gift!

Same.... 33.5 all night and over an inch of rain. Is there anything worse in the weather world?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I don't think so. 1.94 so far this event, if we had the first half of this thing as snow I would have been happy

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My general rule of thumb with snow is if cold temps haven't been established for a while, you can likely cut the totals in half. Whatever the "positive snow depth" was doing was cutting far more than that.

Anyway, my drive to far Northwest Georgia is sure to be interesting... From what little information I got, I know the storm busted on the low side there, but they didn't get stupid totals like Cartersville/Cherokee County, etc did...it was more like your typical, ole' fashioned good snowstorm there.

Back