• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Power been out for 9 hrs now, down to 50 degrees in the house. There are over 26000 outages from our power company alone.
Georgia Power is currently reporting that over 130,000 customers are without power. More downed trees are expected as heavy snow accumulations shift and settle during the day.
ga_power_5.jpg

The HRRR has been so great for this storm and this backend snow definitely. Said my best snows would be between 7-9 and so far it's been right.
Also have to give the NAM some credit. Getting Nam'd was actually realistic here strangely enough. Clown maps sometimes verify, and it appears the circus came to town with this storm across this area.

Also have to give the NAM some credit. Getting Nam'd was actually realistic here strangely enough. Clown maps sometimes verify, and it appears the circus came to town with this storm across this area.

NAM nails this storm and the big January one last winter. It needs more respect from more people. Last January's storm really opened my eyes.

Snowing pretty moderate to heavy at times in northern upstate. Wouldn't be surprised to see another 2" from this. HRRR has snow through noon, and looks of radar that's probably happening.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One thing for sure, the snow depth maps need to be scraped. The NAM and CMC nailed my forecast when they called for 8-10" for my location.

Also If Seven Inches falls, more than A half An inch will accumulate.
Something in their algorithm needs to be reworked probably. I also don't know why the NWS even said half an inch to an inch. It seems ridiculous that they discounted the NAM and its solutions and even the global models 24 hours out. It took until the snow was falling and accumulating beyond that amount for them to add us under a warning, and never did I see any advisory for up to 8 inches. I looked back and yes, the January storm was nailed by the NAM.

While we cashed in yesterday the northeast folks are in meltdown mode this morning as a bust is very possible for them

Something in their algorithm needs to be reworked probably. I also don't know why the NWS even said half an inch to an inch. It seems ridiculous that they discounted the NAM and its solutions and even the global models 24 hours out. It took until the snow was falling and accumulating beyond that amount for them to add us under a warning, and never did I see any advisory for up to 8 inches. I looked back and yes, the January storm was nailed by the NAM.

The NAM gets a bad rap during winter weather events. Truth is it's mailed some pretty big storms the last few years

Back