• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Which model do you think performed best with this winter storm? IMO, I think the CMC did well and the NAM. GFS, meh, it caught on at the last minute which I was expecting that. Euro, it caught on quicker than the GFS. This was a very difficult winter storm to forecast, ever. Next time, I surely hope the TV mets and Government mention that a significant winter storm could be on the way for any winter storm that is showing to be significant on the models. Especially if the models keep showing something significant over and over in the short range like what we saw with this system.

The fact this storm is occurring on Dec 8-9 alone makes this historic. Even if we dont get any more snow tonight this storm is easily top 5 for me.

We could go to 85 degrees tomorrow and not get any colder the rest of the winter, my friend, and we'll talk about this day forever.

They will write books about this one. As I said earlier this evening, one for the ages.

Thankful I got to share it with so many folks on this board who love the weather like I do. Thank you for your guidance, knowledge, perspective and observations.

--30--

That band is really filling out again and expanding. This is crazy. It's snowing here again after a bit of a lull. Power just went out for a few minutes and scared me! I hope we don't lose power. Maps showing and forecast calling for an additional 1 to 3 inches? Geeze, this is going to approach a foot! Insane.

If i get 2 or more inches from this band tonight, this will become GOAT snow storm for me. Jan 2011 is so far
I was thinking if i can somhow get 2 or 3 more inches then this storm will become my number 1 storm. March 1993 was amazing but i was young and didnt really follow weather as much.

Just off the cuff as I think about today (which still is unfolding):

1993. I was 20 years old. Lived in Douglasville. Got 14 inches of snow. 40+mph winds. Drifts 3 feet against the house. Completely shut in for four days. Brutal temps.

Today: I am 44 years old. Live in Cumming. Got 7 inches (so far), no wind, no drifts. Roads are impassible. Some absolutely insane snow rates. Definitely the biggest flakes I've ever seen fall in the state of Georgia.

The BIG thing for me today is how early this system hit. Yes, The Blizzard of 93 was in March, right before the start of spring. But we've had big events in March. I cannot recall anything major this early in winter.

And during The Blizzard, the wind was a huge story. Today, there was no wind at all. The rate of snow overcoming the warm soil/pavement temps was the big story.

Two epic storms. Maybe the two most epic ever to hit Atlanta in the modern era? Perhaps. We will have plenty of time to digest and debate that. For now, let's say today is on the very short list of most amazing winter weather days in Atlanta history.

--30--

I'd say it's historic for places west and north of Atlanta, but not Atlanta itself. 2-4 inches is a typical good snowstorm for the city. Jan 2011 was more impressive for the city itself IMO.

yeah I'd say Atlanta in general kind of underperformed tbh... is the airport even gonna measure much lol(the bad side of the metro for this storm too)

Back