• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

Don't waste your time I am about 30 miles NW of conyers and there isn't jack here.

Rain snow line in far northwest suburbs. May not meet advisory level criteria in Atlanta. Tantalizingly close. Hopefully as rates go up we will get some pretty flakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I️ literally forgot I️ had a friend that lives up in Dahlonega what the hell am I️ doing here.
I'm in Dahlonega right now. Steady snow not much on ground. 30 miles to the northwest in elijay is a different story.

I agree. Sun angle is great. Also, the warm nose is not moving much and is cooling. The heaviest isn't here yet and will keep getting cooler. Around noon, it may get heavy enough to cover the roads. Roads only a degree or two away from freezing.
I'll be headed up towards Murphy this afternoon. Hopefully I can make it.

Hrrr keeps showing near 0c pockets at 850 that get close here then up to y’all Webb and Shane under heaviest precipitation

Yeah I noticed. It's either going to do nothing here or snow like nobody's business but that's what it's going to take aloft to melt enough hydrometeors and erode this warm nose and near surface warm layer. Seems possible but not too likely yet

Yeah I noticed. It's either going to do nothing here or snow like nobody's business but that's what it's going to take aloft to melt enough hydrometeors and erode this warm nose and near surface warm layer. Seems possible but not too likely yet
All or nothing seems to be the way our snow goes around here the past 17 years.

12z hrrr is trolling the Charlotte area very hard:
sn10_acc.us_ma.png
I don’t think this map will be accurate. I’m in N Walker County AL, have barely even seen a flake. It shows us in the 2” zone.

Correction: guess the atmosphere finally moistened up. Been virga all morn on radar, starting to snow lightly now.

Last edited:
Just curious, does anyone think the warm nose will break down on the eastern side of Atlanta by late tonight? It seems like everywhere else is way over performing and I’ve heard reports that the warm nose is alreasy cooling?

Secondary roads in Sylacauga starting to get a little slushy
f66670d8562e2b87a50b0b631164b767.jpg

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

Mesoscale Discussion 1787
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0755 AM CST Fri Dec 08 2017

Areas affected...Far West-central MS...Central AL...Northwest GA

Concerning...Heavy snow

Valid 081355Z - 081700Z

SUMMARY...Occasionally moderate to heavy snowfall (i.e. snowfall
rates around 1 inch per hour) are possible over the next several
hours across portions of central AL and northwest GA

DISCUSSION...Recent surface observations show that temperatures
across central AL and northwest GA have cooled enough to support
snow. Several sites are already reporting moderate snow with
isolated/brief instances of heavy snow (i.e. visibility less than
1/4SM) also being reported. Relatively heavier band of precipitation
is currently ongoing across southeast MS/southwest AL and its
northeasterly motion is expected to take it into central AL and
northwest GA over the next few hours. As a result, snowfall rates
may occasionally top 1 inch per hour in isolated locations.
Subfreezing surface wet-bulb temperatures are expected to remain
north of a line from MEI northeastward to RMG, keeping areas south
of this line predominately rain.

..Mosier.. 12/08/2017

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...GSP...FFC...BMX...HUN...JAN...

LAT...LON 33358873 33918740 34848522 34838426 34348345 33448484
32658684 32188908 33358873

Just curious, does anyone think the warm nose will break down on the eastern side of Atlanta by late tonight? It seems like everywhere else is way over performing and I’ve heard reports that the warm nose is alreasy cooling?
I don't think it will. Its still 40 degrees here

Agreed

Back