• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

If the precip shied sets up as advertised and rates shown there will be more that 1/2"-1" of snow over central and E AL. I don't get it but we go thru this dance every time from public media and local NWS office. I would not be shocked to see a 2-4" band roughly 50nmi strip observed once said and done... Not trying to bash but heavy rates equals accumulation

I have to say I wish I were on the north side of ATL right now, especially Cobb County. According to all of the 18Z GFS, 12Z Euro, and 12Z CMC, Cobb and nearby areas will have mainly SN falling (starting as a mix with rain) for ~18 straight from just before or near sunrise Fri til midnight Fri night. Qpf during that period is 0.5"-1" with the GFS wettest and Euro driest. With 850s being just below 0C throughout that period and steady precip of pretty decent strength and assuming no more big northward/warmer shifts, I'd be quite surprised if at least Cobb and probably also Cherokee, N Fulton, and Forsyth didn't get at least 2-3" of SN on grass and elevated surfaces with as much as 4-6" in at least isolated spots on grass/elevated. Any opinions about this?
I absolutely agree

Just saw David chandley on Fox 5 Atlanta ... looks like this could be easily a non event... rain/snow mix...from what it looked like... cold chasing the moisture.... ugh...

I have to say I wish I were on the north side of ATL right now, especially Cobb County. According to all of the 18Z GFS, 12Z Euro, and 12Z CMC, Cobb and nearby areas will have mainly SN falling (starting as a mix with rain) for ~18 straight from just before or near sunrise Fri til midnight Fri night. Qpf during that period is 0.5"-1" with the GFS wettest and Euro driest. With 850s being just below 0C throughout that period and steady precip of pretty decent strength and assuming no more big northward/warmer shifts, I'd be quite surprised if at least Cobb and probably also Cherokee, N Fulton, and Forsyth didn't get at least 2-3" of SN on grass and elevated surfaces with as much as 4-6" in at least isolated spots on grass/elevated. Any opinions about this?
IMO, it surely is possible there will be isolated 2-3"

Just saw David chandley on Fox 5 Atlanta ... looks like this could be easily a non event... rain/snow mix...from what it looked like... cold chasing the moisture.... ugh...
He's got no choice but to play it safe because a few days ago he said this was all rumor and zero chance of happening lol. So hes gonna ride it out skeptical until reality doesn't match it I bet. We shall see.

If the precip shied sets up as advertised and rates shown there will be more that 1/2"-1" of snow over central and E AL. I don't get it but we go thru this dance every time from public media and local NWS office. I would not be shocked to see a 2-4" band roughly 50nmi strip observed once said and done... Not trying to bash but heavy rates equals accumulation
Agreed...we haven't had an event without an 850 problem in a long time...this isn't the usual scenario.

Folks... I just have to say. This is one interesting storm! We’ve went from Mets saying zero chance not happening to now a winter weather advisory and trending models. Glenn burns is on tv trying to explain how difficult this forecast is because it’s critically close to bust or boom possibly. He really is saying we have no idea lmao. This storm is weird! The layer above us isn’t below freezing but wouldn’t take much to change should heavier precipitation develop across N GA, which is a real possibility. Glenn was just showing sleet on the south side that’s been falling for a while mixed in so we are already seeing heavier precip rates bring down sleet. Is it that far fetched to see areas of heavier rain turn to snow and remain due to complete cooling of the column? Everyone on local here is very unsure and are honestly trying to explain more he difficulty verses what’s actually going to happen. Or maybe I am just crazy? Lmao??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always expect the unexpected in the weather field.

He's got no choice but to play it safe because a few days ago he said this was all rumor and zero chance of happening lol. So hes gonna ride it out skeptical until reality doesn't match it I bet. We shall see.
His model of precipitation graphics looked rather dry... meaning... not as much precipitation fir as long as we are seeing on models posted here on the board... wonder if he picked the least likely and least precipitation model to show in tv?

I just watched the local forecasters and theyre thinking of a minor storm. with 1 inch at most. Thoughts?
I wouldn't necessarily count this storm as a "minor storm." I mean, for some people, it will be minor, but not for everyone. Some places are going to see over 1"

Spann just posted
New 18Z 3km NAM suggests best snow potential will be around the I-20/59 corridor.

DQer31rXcAAKlyE.jpg:large

Those of you hugging the GFS ( I understand it) need to remember the global models are out of their element this close and you should pay more attention to the HRRR a nd SREF now. Still think this will come a little more north and west so watch out for the mid level warm nose for most everyone outside the mountains

Not liking the 3km NAM for my area. Climo rules once again like I thought it would. Best of luck to everyone north of I-20 in GA. I think the sweet spot will be Rome to Dahlonega.

Back