• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

My location (far Northeastern Forsyth County, next to Lake Lanier and close to the Hall and Dawson lines) looks like it stays at -1c, -2c at 850mb for most of the day tomorrow per the NAM 3K. Again, this is going to be super close.

--30--

hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_18.png
Whats this lol.

Wow! The National Weather Service afternoon discussion out of Raleigh is a big letdown after all of these great model runs for the Triad region. Here's a snippet:

There may be a sweet spot between the Triad and Triangle where some sleet and snow may fall and accumulate a bit on the elevated and grassy surfaces...snow will have a difficult time accumulating except for on elevated and grassy surfaces and under high precipitation rates. Generally less than an inch of snow is expected at this time, primarily between midnight and 7 AM Saturday.

*cough* northern expansion.
If yall keep saying shift yall will give our southern people a keniption.
Once again, that's taking boundary and ground temps into consideration. As precip shifts north, that algo will show greater "snow depth" further north. But again, higher rates etc etc. Beating a dead dog to death...

It's not just an expansion. The heaviest snow axis is shifting to the north. Rome was not the winners in previous runs. Now it's one of the places in GA you'll want to be at if the NAM 3KM is to be believed. The 850mb temps are also now above 0c in the Atlanta area whereas in previous runs, it was below 0c for a lot of the storm.

On the image you posted showed positive totals for nearly all of central AL.

On the image you posted showed positive totals for nearly all of central AL.
Oh yeah, I know...but the greater "change" shows up further north than recent runs due to the fact that precip is further north than recent runs...even though that corridor may not see as Much snowfall as you or I. Am I rambling at this point?

18z NAM is bombs away off of the NC coast 997 and still going....nice snow band across the state Saturday...

19z HRRR continues to show RDU flipping to heavy snow early tomorrow morning
hrrr_ref_frzn_seus_18.png

I will gladly forgive this event as being rain for the day tomorrow to get a closed upper low over the deep south and a blossoming snow band over NC.

HRRR continues to look great, too. Maybe we'll end up with something decent after all.

You have been in the hot zone the whole time and we are like 12-18 hours from showtime.

Is your roof in pretty good shape ?
Yeah, put a new one on last year. Me and a buddy. Won't be doing that again, lol. But I won't be celebrating until I get some heavy wet snow and sleet on it, lol. The models now move me in and out, and the mets move me in and out, and it's the worst when it's not cold and you are waiting on the change over. Every event for the last few years that reached me, reached me maybe an hour before the rain left. It takes forever to cool down here. I'd much rather the cold be in place, so you know whatever falls is going to freeze, and just waiting for it to come up into the cold air. Waiting a change over is like simultaneous root canals.

Yeah, put a new one on last year. Me and a buddy. Won't be doing that again, lol. But I won't be celebrating until I get some heavy wet snow and sleet on it, lol. The models now move me in and out, and the mets move me in and out, and it's the worst when it's not cold and you are waiting on the change over. Every event for the last few years that reached me, reached me maybe an hour before the rain left. It takes forever to cool down here. I'd much rather the cold be in place, so you know whatever falls is going to freeze, and just waiting for it to come up into the cold air. Waiting a change over is like simultaneous root canals.
Oh yeah that agonizing wait on the changeover. Seems like it takes forever and is so frustrating. Sometimes it never changes over lmao.

Back