• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

NWS Jackson has slightly increased snow totals for portions of their CWA:

24774839_1571301729613367_446349725047720228_n.jpg

What does that actually mean in layman’s terms and how does it affect this event?

Since the Carolinas, VA, and portions of the mid Atlantic will be sitting in the right entrance region of this jet streak it means the ascent especially to the NW of this cyclone is going to be ridiculous vs what we normally see

More or less winter weather?
Since the Carolinas, VA, and portions of the mid Atlantic will be sitting in the right entrance region of this jet streak it means the ascent especially to the NW of this cyclone is going to be ridiculous vs what we normally see

Second to last warning .We are turning off the guest view option for a couple of hours starting in 30 minutes . If your a guest take 30 seconds and sign up

Second to last warning .We are turning off the guest view option for a couple of hours starting in 30 minutes . If your a guest take 30 seconds and sign up

And there's no risk! Signing up is easy. If you aren't happy with your experience, we'll give you double your money back!

I think the 12Z GFS is showing 6" of SN at Greensboro. Is this right and is that realistic? I know Packfan mentioned 1". Opinions?

Eric, are you saying that the models are under estimating this upcoming event of the NW sector of cyclone? I'm concerned about that powerful jet streak. I think this cyclone is going to "throw out some surprises."

Eric, are you saying that the models are under estimating this upcoming event of the NW sector of cyclone? I'm concerned about that powerful jet streak. I think this cyclone is going to "throw out some surprises."
What kind of surprise are you talking about?

I think the 12Z GFS is showing 6" of SN at Greensboro. Is this right and is that realistic? I know Packfan mentioned 1". Opinions?

We've discussed time and time again that these numbers are unrealistic for several reasons, for one the ratios are going to be close to 6:1 so right off the bat even if everything that fell stuck to the ground, you'd lose 40% of the snow right there. Then the ground is pretty warm so to even accumulate it will have to fall pretty hard and even if it did there's going to be longwave radiation upward form the ground that still melts some of it and surface temps are slightly above freezing so whatever actually sticks to the ground will melt a little before more continues to come down. In general should cut those numbers down by 75% or so

So maybe something more like this... ;). :weenie:
nav_precip_mslp_east_6.png

This is a very tricky setup for the southern mountains, the wind in the low-mid levels will be blowing perpendicular to the southern slopes and there will be additional help from orographic lifting, if any area was to overperform it would probably be there

Back