• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

I'm educatedly guessing that Carrolton/you with about 8" got a top 5 snow accum going back to 1879! You picked the right winter to move back there!
Congrats to the biggest of big winners like Forsyth, MBell, arcc, and yourself (I'm sure I left off other huge winners) who got like 8-11"! Also congrats to the many still big winners like accu, Storm5, as well as others in Birm and ATL area and in between that didn't quite get into that category but still got a big, beautiful, and very long duration snow! Congrats to those who got much less but still got rare snow like in FL Panhandle! Those that missed will get theirs another time. This was amazing to follow.

8” in NE Forsyth Cty. Just an amazing storm to watch unfold, all across the south!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking back, two things.

The 0z CMC run on Tuesday night nailed it.

I had forgotten how fast things changed. It went from very little precip over southern AL to a central AL crushing in under two days. Has the models ever blown it that much that close in the recent ten years. In 2014 they just missed on precip placement, hereally they whiffed on a lot more.

I had forgotten how fast things changed. It went from very little precip over southern AL to a central AL crushing in under two days. Has the models ever blown it that much that close in the recent ten years. In 2014 they just missed on precip placement, hereally they whiffed on a lot more.

Synoptically, 2014 was modeled well, but the mesoscale features were the things that the models didn’t catch on to...it was the short rangers that nailed it in particular.

There hasnt been this many power outages in this area since Opal in 1995. Some people have been out of power 2 days.

The CMC did great. It gave us here in GA high totals before anyone else did. Personally, I believe this was the CMC's year of rising, given its performance in the tropics for some of the year being better than ever, and it getting this storm correct.

I'm educatedly guessing that Carrolton/you with about 8" got a top 5 snow accum going back to 1879! You picked the right winter to move back there!
Congrats to the biggest of big winners like Forsyth, MBell, arcc, and yourself (I'm sure I left off other huge winners) who got like 8-11"! Also congrats to the many still big winners like accu, Storm5, as well as others in Birm and ATL area and in between that didn't quite get into that category but still got a big, beautiful, and very long duration snow! Congrats to those who got much less but still got rare snow like in FL Panhandle! Those that missed will get theirs another time. This was amazing to follow.
You forgot me :(

You forgot me :(

Yep, and several others in Forsyth County of the regular posters and likely several other regular posters as well. But the biggest winner I left off may have been Rosie who got an entire foot!! Then again, I'd much rather be left off of a congratulations list than be left out of a big snow. :)

Man talk about a tale of two neighborhoods. Most of the snow is completely gone across the street from me, but most of the snow on my side of the street is still on the ground. I think I still have about 2-3 inches out of the 5 on the grass/bushes. lol

Power is back and part of the limb has bewn cut off the heat pump. It will be this weekend before I can cut those limb's and see if my roof is damaged.

The overnight snow was a good amount for me. I went to bed with 5 inches, and woke up with 7. The amount of tree damage from the weight of the snow was very impressive.

Cut the limbs off the roof today. Thankfully just a little damage on the eave. Now I have to figure out how to get the limb off my shop with damaging it.

Cut the limbs off the roof today. Thankfully just a little damage on the eave. Now I have to figure out how to get the limb off my shop with damaging it.
Is your shop tin roof?

So much for that. Two more rafters snapped, buy the large limb is on the ground waiting to be chopped for firewood. Got the yard cleaned of most of the branches. Crazy that a snowstorm did more damage than all the thunderstorms and the two tropical storms of the past two and a half years combined.

Back