• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 22-23 Whamby and Banter Thread Part 2

I really dont know how Atlanta recorded measurable snowfall. I'm pretty sure most of the Atlanta area did not see any snow on the ground this winter.
Atlanta Hartsfield measured more snow than GSP, CLT, GSO and RDU combined! So how much did they get you ask? A whopping 0.1 on 12-26. All you can do is laugh.

While certainly not a snowstorm and most areas probably received nothing the official reporting station has had measurable snow this winter.

The 12z run of the GFS is a rehash of how our winter has gone.

So we have this at day 13. I think it looks good. Lots of potential. The high is not in the right position but there's already a cold airmass in place with lots of dew points in the single digits.
1677949835414.png

And then this at day 14. Cut city. La nina for the win again.
1677950271308.png

This is way out and there will be lots of changes, but I do hate this winter.

Brian Brettschneider

@Climatologist49
·
2h

Bettles, Alaska, dropped to -44F this morning, only 1F shy of the coldest temperature of the winter. This map shows how often the coldest day of the winter occurs in March. Will parts of the southeast Lower 48 have their coldest day of the winter in about a week???

Brian Brettschneider

@Climatologist49
·
1h

Update: Bettles dropped to -45F. That means the coldest temperature of the season occurred in March (tie with February). Very impressive.

The 12z run of the GFS is a rehash of how our winter has gone.

So we have this at day 13. I think it looks good. Lots of potential. The high is not in the right position but there's already a cold airmass in place with lots of dew points in the single digits.
View attachment 133971

And then this at day 14. Cut city. La nina for the win again.
View attachment 133972

This is way out and there will be lots of changes, but I do hate this winter.
Seasonal trends are tough to beat sometimes. Scenario after scenario has gone this way all year. Count me as skeptical we see it change now.

On the flip side the west coast has had an EPIC winter.

Brian Brettschneider
@Climatologist49
·
2h

Bettles, Alaska, dropped to -44F this morning, only 1F shy of the coldest temperature of the winter. This map shows how often the coldest day of the winter occurs in March. Will parts of the southeast Lower 48 have their coldest day of the winter in about a week???

Brian Brettschneider
@Climatologist49
·
1h

Update: Bettles dropped to -45F. That means the coldest temperature of the season occurred in March (tie with February). Very impressive.
Considering to do that we’d have to blow through the all-time record low temperature for March by a few degrees, I’m going to have to go with no. Up in the Arctic it’s different since February is usually their coldest month and they have a negative energy balance from the sun much longer than we do further south.

Seasonal trends are tough to beat sometimes. Scenario after scenario has gone this way all year. Count me as skeptical we see it change now.

On the flip side the west coast has had an EPIC winter.

I guess I’m happy for them since their summer droughts and fires are so severe.

Considering to do that we’d have to blow through the all-time record low temperature for March by a few degrees, I’m going to have to go with no. Up in the Arctic it’s different since February is usually their coldest month and they have a negative energy balance from the sun much longer than we do further south.

Going to be hard. Maybe upper south has a shot. Low 30’s isn’t going to get it done for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Brettschneider
@Climatologist49
·
2h

Brian Brettschneider
@Climatologist49
·
1h

Can’t wait to see that cold dumped into Southern California.

I still think we will have a pretty good cold period coming up. I just checked the mjo forecasts and they still look great. High Amp face 8 in a few days possibly going over to phase 1. I know seasonal persistence and this winter has been an F but its hard to believe the mjo would get trumped when its this amped in the cold phases.

It’s funny how a few days ago when the GFS was predicting a more subdued cold, everyone said it was a terrible model. Maybe it had a point?

Yes, but it will be nice to get some normal temps for a week or so, maybe even slightly below normal for a day or two.

It’s funny how a few days ago when the GFS was predicting a more subdued cold, everyone said it was a terrible model. Maybe it had a point?

It isn't good long range. None of them are. But watching models for years now I've learned that if one model doesn't agree with a cold and snowy pattern, regardless of which model it is its usually the one right. Even if they all agree it's no guarantee in the SE. We are stuck in a rut and have been for years it seems where regardless of the indices the SE can't get sustained below average temps and reaching just average snowfall is a challenge. Forget about well above average snowfall.

It isn't good long range. None of them are. But watching models for years now I've learned that if one model doesn't agree with a cold and snowy pattern, regardless of which model it is its usually the one right. Even if they all agree it's no guarantee in the SE. We are stuck in a rut and have been for years it seems where regardless of the indices the SE can't get sustained below average temps and reaching just average snowfall is a challenge. Forget about well above average snowfall.

I hear you. I wouldn’t go as far as to say the model predicting warmth has the hot hand but it’s got to at least give you pause that there may be alternate interpretations of the data that may have some merit. I think it’s easy to say the GFS is a terrible model because you don’t like what it’s spitting out. The Canadian was big time cold and it has backed off. The EPS as well. Now the models may be delaying the cold - which ultimately leads to warming temps the more we get later into the month.

Back