• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2021-22 Final Grades

A+ and that was from one 8 inch snow in January that I base that grade off of. Im not sure how anyone that gets 6 or more inches of snow in the south is grading the winter less then A+. Season total is at 12.9 inches with a total of 9 different days that snow fell from the sky. Temps overall in January and February were actually right around normal. The lows were very cold while the highs were slightly above which is what put me closer to an average mean.
Here are the receipts ?
View attachment 114769View attachment 114770View attachment 114771

Congrats, what a snowstorm! Another great winter for you!

On the subject of not grading one’s winter with a high grade if getting a lot of snow in the south: if one were basing the entire grade strictly on snowfall I’d agree 100%. However, some also incorporate temperatures quite heavily, which is what both @RainlessSnowless & Grumpy and @Iceagewhereartthou did in their grading posts. Temperatures in upstate SC averaged 2 AN and they both took off a lot for that. Whereas even I thought iceage’s D was strict (2 AN is not that warm and GSP snow was biggest since 2013-14/several inches above longterm mean), these grades are subjective. For that matter, it looks like @Lickwx actually lowered his grade due to a cold Jan. We don’t all think the same way. In my area, if I were grading strictly based on measurable wintry precip going back to 1996-7, I’d be giving an F to all but 2009-10, 2013-4, and 2017-8.

I give the winter grade a D here unless we get a March miracle.

Congrats, what a snowstorm! Another great winter for you!

On the subject of not grading one’s winter with a high grade if getting a lot of snow in the south: if one were basing the entire grade strictly on snowfall I’d agree 100%. However, some also incorporate temperatures quite heavily, which is what both @RainlessSnowless & Grumpy and @Iceagewhereartthou did in their grading posts. Temperatures in upstate SC averaged 2 AN and they both took off a lot for that. Whereas even I thought iceage’s D was strict (2 AN is not that warm and GSP snow was biggest since 2013-14/several inches above longterm mean), these grades are subjective. For that matter, it looks like @Lickwx actually lowered his grade due to a cold Jan. We don’t all think the same way. In my area, if I were grading strictly based on measurable wintry precip going back to 1996-7, I’d be giving an F to all but 2009-10, 2013-4, and 2017-8.
Yeah good post. Many may have missed it but I also take off for only seeing frozen on one occasion. Going a whole winter without seeing even an additional dusting or even flurries sits bad with me. Some have said they don't understand how I can't give an A just because of one good snow, but I see it very differently. I'm grading a whole winter, not just one snowfall. The snowfall saved what was otherwise an F- IMO, but it doesn't make up for the other 3 months that were awful. Also on the temps, it wasn't just relative to average that I didn't like, it was the lack of any true cold. I can only think of one other winter that I never saw at least teens and that was 2011-12. Only had two days with highs below 40; overall a very mild and disappointing winter. One well timed system doesn't sugar coat all that. Still a D for me.

Was going to say C+ but I'll wait till after this system coming through this weekend, because if y'all in Ms, Bama, Ga and Tn see accumulating snow and we get nada, I'll downgrade it to a C- or D. Lol

Here is how I would rate this past winter for my location:
December 2021 - Very above normal temperatures, Christmas high temperature near 80 degrees. Only silver lining was the weather this month was good outdoor activities weather.
Monthly Grade: D
January 2022 - Below normal temperatures. Several freezes, including at least 2 hard freezes, and more than one flurry event in the area this month. Temperatures actually stayed below the mid 70s for most of the month as the cold reloaded again and again.
Monthly Grade - A-
February 2022 - Near normal temperatures, but a cold first half of the month. One event had some slight mixed precip, including actual snowflakes, at my location. A few more freezes occurred in the first half of the month. Spring weeds held back longer than in the past few years.
Monthly Grade - B+

Overall Winter Score --- B

Obviously, for my latitude and climate, this is a breakdown and grading process relative to these expectations, so I've been more generous with the grading than some others further north on this forum might have given my location.

I’m giving this winter an overall B+ for my location. The December warmth kept it from an A. Almost 5” on January 2nd. Then January 16th had to make a short drive up Monte Sano to see 2-3”. Even though that was not my location, got to build a snowman with my daughter and play in it just a 30 minute drive. Tonight could move my grade up to an A.

Back