• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 2017 - 2018 Rating

A- (changed from an A+ because I can’t put this in the same category as some historic snows we’ve had, plus it was warm feb)

Above average snow for the season. A little warmer than I would like in Feb but I’ll take this every year.

Last edited:
B. Last part of Jan and all of Feb was an automatic letter grade deduction. Other than that, it was good. Early start and a wintry March were definitely a welcomed sight.

A for Raleigh. Two all snow events in January with one being a 6" event. Yesterday was nice too, sitting at 8.7" on the season.

i give it an A.....9 inches from 2 storms with flurries a few other times. It was not a bad year here in the upstate but it was less than i have got the past few years.

I have to say yesterday's storm moved it to an A for me. One big storm in January with 6 inches of snow, and two smaller storms, one of them being in March. That's a good winter here.

C at best for my home in Hoover Al. The December 8 storm was amazing in snowfall but not quite cold enough to stick on roads or cause any travel issues. Actually drove to my Daughter's house in Madison AL that afternoon and from Cullman north there was nothing. The big January storm missed us. It never really got going at our house. No missed work again. I need a real snow day or days.

B+
Just above average with one big snow around 8”. One more snow over 4” would make it an A. A double digit event would be an A+

A+ for me I would imagine Boards wide opionin probably a overall B grade, but when you live in Dallas GA and you get roughly 12 inches and most at one time since the Blizzard of 93 and in December it's hard not to be anything but a A+ plus another decent event a month later.

I'll go with an A- due to Feb being so warm at times. I can't complain over 10" for 2017-18.

This is pretty impressive for our area and puts things into perspective JMHO
230f85c6e4bab804ff1f7eb907438558.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll go with an A- due to Feb being so warm at times. I can't complain over 10" for 2017-18.

This is pretty impressive for our area and puts things into perspective JMHO
230f85c6e4bab804ff1f7eb907438558.jpg

Being that my area would have been in white on that map every winter since 1989-90 until this past winter, being that the ~0.75" liquid equivalent was the highest by a good margin from a pure winter storm since 1922, and being that it was right in the middle of the coldest week in 41 years, it has to be A+. As an added bonus, most of the 2" remained on the ground in shaded areas for nearly 5 days!!

Last edited:
Still see it as a B-, but my lucky duck self was traveling in Northwest Georgia right after that winter storm.

Gave it an F for CHA... so much wasted cold, so many storms missing north, south east AND west. Just a real downer of a winter. Loved the 2 week intense cold period in January though. I guess this is a little mother nature payback for having back to back good snow years in 2009-10, 10-11, and 13-14, 14-15.

So okay, F+.. D minor is a musical scale.
You will probably pay for those snowy seasons for many years unfortunately. On the other hand I'm pretty sure you suffered many snowless seasons before the above average stretch so who knows really.

In NW Tennessee, I'll give it a B+. 2 snow events just a few days apart; about 12" deep at one point. Had a low temperature of -2. And, none of it lasted long enough to make me sick of it.
only a b+ with 12 inches of snow on the ground in Tennessee? Any winter that produces a single storm of 6 or more inches in the south should be an instant A at least. Anything over 8 inches in a single storm should be an A+ no questions asks.

Last edited:
Solid B... would have been an A, if Feb would have been cold.
Edit .... If I get another accumulating snow event I will have to reconsider that "B" I gave this winter. We'll see ...
Edit: I have seen minor snow 3 events in March and one trace snow event in April. I am now giving this winter an "A"

Last edited:
You will probably pay for those snowy seasons for many years unfortunately. On the other hand I'm pretty sure you suffered many snowless seasons before the above average stretch so who knows really.
yep, from 1997-2007... no snowfall higher than 3 inches.

70% have given this winter at least a B. I'd say thats pretty darn good. Much better than most winters.

yep, from 1997-2007... no snowfall higher than 3 inches.
Nashville went from 2003-04 through 2008-09 with no snows over 1.5 inches. I was seriously beginning to wonder if we were ever going to get a good snow again. There were a couple of occasions that I came very close to hanging up the weather hobby

I am going with a B - only because all winters will be compared to 77-85 for me. We had 1 inch of sleet and 9.5 inches of snow. We did not get above freezing 11 days and had a solid snowpack for 8 days.

Back