• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Winter 2017 - 2018 Rating

ForsythSnow

Reaction score
Since some of us have likely seen our last of it or are seeing the last of it today, figured it was time to create the poll. I personally give it an A for having 3 measurable snowfalls and 1 being a massive 9" storm. That was only comparable to 2011 and surprised me that we got that much. It's only an A and not an A+ because of the heat, as hitting 78 in February doesn't feel like winter.

A for me. This has been easily been one of the best winters in my life.

Since some of us have likely seen our last of it or are seeing the last of it today, figured it was time to create the poll. I personally give it an A for having 3 measurable snowfalls and 1 being a massive 9" storm. That was only comparable to 2011 and surprised me that we got that much. It's only an A and not an A+ because of the heat, as hitting 78 in February doesn't feel like winter.
A for me. 10" and it will get an A from me every time

A + from me. I saw a total of about 26" between GA/IN and my trip to DE. I experienced my first ever nor'easter in which I saw several feet of drifting snow. I experienced the coldest temp in my life (-12 degrees). Several days didn't get out of the single digits. Having said that. I'm ready for spring.

D-, whiffed on Dec event, MLK day storm, lost .3-.4 qpf on rain, that wasn’t supposed to happen, ended up with sloppy 2”, Feb just sucked monkey balls. In my book, the only thing keeping it from an F was the after Christmas to early Jan cold snap! Duration was impressive!

I score it an A even though last month was a torch. It was unreal how much of a turnaround December was with the surprise snow of around 5.5 inches and near foot amounts in Alpharetta. The cold was impressive and the light snow/graupel today was icing on the cake. :cool:

D in North Alabama. We experienced significant cold weather in late December and the first half of January, but missed on all snow events except for the 0.2" of cold powder in January. February's heat wave nearly took it to an F rating, but March's cool down is saving that grade.

I gave it an A. I enjoyed this winter and it's been awhile since I can recall tracking multiple threats across the Southeast regardless if it hit my area hard or not. I got ~3-4" this year, 1.5 from the early December storm, and around 2-2.5" in the later Jan system. It's been a really fun winter, and learned a lot from you guys.

A-
4 snow events for a total of 6 inches. Over a week below freezing and a torch thrown in. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a true big dog imby

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Definitely an A for me. Got close to 11” in the early December storm and almost 2” in the January storm. Only thing keeping it from an A+ is losing power for 40 hours and then losing water for 2 days when the power came back after the December storm.

Today pushed it to a B+, two decent events... 4" and 3.5, couple of .5 events but lacked the one big dog and the torch last month. Would've been C+ or B- if today had not been a nice surprise

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

c- Well below climo for snow even after 4.5 today. It would be lower if not for the cold spell that saved things to a degree. It was also very cool to see the big snows in the deep south and along the coast. I was walking through my neighbors yard Sat and the ground looked like summer drought. Today will help but we wasted a lot of cold up here. Maybe I should raise it to a c because DC has been shafted so bad.. .??

D only because i saw snow on vacation(further proving what a dump Dallas is for snow, the foot in 2010 had to be fake news)

Dallas itself a flat out F no snow to show for the cold which averaged out really was not even that cold anyway

But Dallas not snowing doesn't shock me really(I've gotten used to it, why I had plans up north this winter and will continue to as long as I'm here), it was the snowing south of here 3 times that I never expected and was like a dagger to the heart honestly with a 3 year snowless streak

Last edited:
In NW Tennessee, I'll give it a B+. 2 snow events just a few days apart; about 12" deep at one point. Had a low temperature of -2. And, none of it lasted long enough to make me sick of it.

Gave it an F for CHA... so much wasted cold, so many storms missing north, south east AND west. Just a real downer of a winter. Loved the 2 week intense cold period in January though. I guess this is a little mother nature payback for having back to back good snow years in 2009-10, 10-11, and 13-14, 14-15.

So okay, F+.. D minor is a musical scale.

Last edited:
B....as long as I get total accumulating snow over my average(around 1.9"), I automatically give it a B.

1" from early December event
2" from mid January event

3" inch total. Literally the best winter for me since 2014 lol. Hopefully a big one happens next year. Onward to Spring.

nice, man.. CHA to the north missed both those... well, .3, and .4 inches respectively.. but I can't respect that.

plus Feb 2015 rocked our world... not sure what did down in Conyers..

B....as long as I get total accumulating snow over my average(around 1.9"), I automatically give it a B.

1" from early December event
2" from mid January event

3" inch total. Literally the best winter for me since 2014 lol. Hopefully a big one happens next year. Onward to Spring.
Also, this snow season ain't over.. LOL.. We're due another neg NAO and April 1987 happened! Plus some other assorted late March analogs. Never give up, until second week of April. Hell, I saw a sleet shower in Austin Tx during the 1980s in May.

Back